PoE and Hikvision

Reaction score
delete this

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
that it's can work on 12v and also at PoE(802.3af) at 48v?
It means you can power it with
either
12V DC
or
PoE 802.3af
Why would you want to connect both? How often would one source fail?

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It works fine with POE (My switch puts out 48V).

No need for dual voltage supply, but if you do, it should be self protected. Test at your own risk and let us know.

Optik

n3wb
Reaction score
if you were to use an injector, you would use a 12V power supply, but you ll need an extractor at the cameras end. but POE switch will know how much power the POE camera needs.

The PoE has 48Vdc

Last edited by a moderator:

Optik

n3wb
Reaction score
what is the voltage of PoE 802.3af?
Got this from another forum
( buellwinkle) I can say with a very high degree of certainty that at best it will not work, at worst it will fry the camera. This camera is not 12V PoE you are reading the specs wrong, it's PoE or 12V, not both or used interchangeably. Also, by going to 12V, you are cutting your maximum effective cable length by 4, meaning if PoE works to 100m, 12V PoE will work to about 25m. That's not my opinion, that's the law, Ohm's law.

But thanks for sacrificing your camera for the sake of science

(http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=39898)

kirbymurphy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
if you were to use an injector, you would use a 12V power supply, but you ll need an extractor at the cameras end. but POE switch will know how much power the POE camera needs.

The PoE has 48Vdc
If the camera is POE, why would I need an extractor at the camera? Doesn't the camera draw the 12VDC from the RJ-45 cable? I thought all I would need is an injector? I have the DS-2CD2032F-IW that is supposed to be POE but can't get it to work.

Optik

n3wb
Reaction score
If the camera is POE, why would I need an extractor at the camera? Doesn't the camera draw the 12VDC from the RJ-45 cable? I thought all I would need is an injector? I have the DS-2CD2032F-IW that is supposed to be POE but can't get it to work.
poe is 48v, so if you use injector with dc listed above with 48v supply, than you do not need the extractor. but if you are injecting 12v you do. hope it is clear.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
PoE is a general term. There are lots of things that can send or receive power over Ethernet, but not all of them adhere to a particular standard. In this particular case, the Hikvision adheres to the IEEE standard, 802.3af.

(From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet) The original IEEE 802.3af-2003 PoE standard provides up to 15.4 W of DC power (minimum 44 V DC and 350 mA) to each device. Only 12.95 W is assured to be available at the powered device as some power dissipates in the cable.

Alternatively, you can power the Hikvision via its DC power pigtail. In that case, you would plug in a 12VDC power source. That could be a wall wart, or you could use one of those non-standard methods of providing power over Ethernet to inject 12VDC at one end of the CAT5 cable and a splitter at the camera end to split it into an RJ45 for the network connection, and a 12VDC connector to connect to the DC pigtail.

kirbymurphy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think I get it.
Gotta be 48VDC to power the cam POE?
Explains why they sent me another cable unit with the different sex, for the camera end I guess.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe this will make things clearer...

If the power enters the camera via the DC power in pigtail, it needs to be 12VDC.
If the power enters the camera via the Ethernet jack, it needs to be 48VDC (from an 802.af compliant PoE source)