POE Camera Suggestions for Outdoor Use

mike93

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, new member here. I currently have a small system set up using 4 Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras on the interior of my business running on Blue Iris. I have been happy with these cameras, but I'm looking to add another 1-2 inside and 4 outside and I'm wondering if there are other models better suited to my needs. I'd like to stay at <$200 per camera, so for my interior camera additions, are there better options available within my budget or are there cheaper cameras that will perform as well as my current cameras? Obviously, if I can spend less I would like to. If not, I will likely order a couple more of the same model. For the exterior, only 1 camera will be in a covered area. The other 3 will be exposed to sunlight and rain. My understanding is that dome cameras will be more tamper resistant than the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and possibly more weather resistant, so I'm interested in what you guys are using for exposed outdoor applications. Video quality at night is important, but the parking lot of my business is pretty well-lit. I've also got a spare GeoVision GV-EFER3700 fisheye camera laying around, if that seems suitable for any of the areas I'm wanting to monitor. Outdoor units will be mounted approximately 10 feet high. Roof cam will be mounted about waist high at the front of the building facing towards the rear.

I made this rough sketch of the areas I'm wanting to monitor. I understand that complete coverage in all of these areas with 4 cameras is unrealistic, but this is to give you a general idea of which outside areas I'm wanting to keep an eye on. The red dots represent approximate mounting locations of the cameras. The green area is my front parking lot. There is only 1 entrance and exit, so majority of my traffic, both cars and on foot, come and go in this direction. This camera is the one that will be mounted under an overhang. To give you an idea of the scale, the distance between the camera mounting point and where it meets the blue area is approximately 120-140 feet. The blue area covers the driveway and small connecting road that leads to the back lot. Might be a good place to optimize a camera for license plate reading. The yellow area is my rear parking lot. Would like to see as much of this as possible, but the most important area for me to monitor is the section that the purple area meets as that is my section of the building. Purple area represents what I would like to be able to see from my roof cam.

Shop Cams3.png

I imagine this won't be a 1 size fits all type of setup, so I'm open to any suggestions for different types or cameras that will work best in these scenarios.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:iloveipct:

My standard "hello" -

Welcome to the land of video surveillance lunatics. Be sure to check the WiKI, in the blue bar at the top of the page. Study, carefully on a real computer, the Cliff Notes in there. There is also a lot of other good information for sizing a system and keeping it safe on the internet, foil the "phone home" features. Read, study plan, ask questions, revise plans and test before spending money. It'll save you time, frustration and money in the end. There's tons of reviews here on cameras, and NVRs to help confuse you even more when trying to make a decision.

Seriously, read the Cliff Notes in the WiKi, on a real computer. Tons of good info for choosing cameras.

If you're happy with the 5231R-ZE they'll work outside just as well as inside. The "latest and greatest" is the 5442 series which is a 4MP rather than a 2MP like the 5231. It performs at least as well, or even better, as a 5231 under low light conditions. I have both, outside, and the 5442 out performs the 5231 to my tired old eyes.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Domes are not more vandal resistant and they will perform worse outdoors due to ir reflection.

mike93

n3wb
Reaction score
:iloveipct:

My standard "hello" -

Welcome to the land of video surveillance lunatics. Be sure to check the WiKI, in the blue bar at the top of the page. Study, carefully on a real computer, the Cliff Notes in there. There is also a lot of other good information for sizing a system and keeping it safe on the internet, foil the "phone home" features. Read, study plan, ask questions, revise plans and test before spending money. It'll save you time, frustration and money in the end. There's tons of reviews here on cameras, and NVRs to help confuse you even more when trying to make a decision.

Seriously, read the Cliff Notes in the WiKi, on a real computer. Tons of good info for choosing cameras.

If you're happy with the 5231R-ZE they'll work outside just as well as inside. The "latest and greatest" is the 5442 series which is a 4MP rather than a 2MP like the 5231. It performs at least as well, or even better, as a 5231 under low light conditions. I have both, outside, and the 5442 out performs the 5231 to my tired old eyes.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will check out the 5442. Depending on cost, I might grab a few of those.

Domes are not more vandal resistant and they will perform worse outdoors due to ir reflection.
Thanks for the tip.

mike93

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a 4MP equivalent to the cameras I have? What I'm seeing in the 5442 series all seem to be fixed lenses instead of motorized.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
There is, currently, no varifocal turret. There is a varifocal bullet though. Right now all are in short or no supply due to COVID19 but Andy reports production is ramping up and shipments are staring up again.