POE Extender Project Box

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I built this project box to use as a weather-proof POE extender inside my Feral Qat Shelter®. I utilized PG7 glands to pass cable into the box to the POE extender. A single cable carrying 802.3at is input into the extender which allows (up to) four (4) 802.3af outputs (the docs state 4 @ 6W, or 3 @ 9W, or 2 @ 12W). I intend to power two (2) Dahua IPC-HDBW4231F-AS mini domes inside the shelter with this unit. The project box is rated IP65 but it will be secured inside my Feral Qat Shelter® which is always dry.

I'll post more when I get it cabled up and running. Here's the pictures and the material list...

IMG_1626.JPG
IMG_1631.JPG
IMG_1634.JPG
IMG_1662.JPG
IMG_1663.JPG
IMG_1664.JPG
IMG_1665.JPG
IMG_1666.JPG
IMG_1669.JPG

Material List:
  1. Ogrmar Plastic Dustproof IP65 Junction Box DIY Case Enclosure (7.8"x 4.7"x 3")
  2. OdiySurveil(TM) 4-Port 10/100M IEEE802.3at (power-in) to IEEE802.3af (power-out) PoE Extender for Ethernet/PoE Power
  3. Hilitchi 30 Piece Nylon Plastic Waterproof Adjustable 3.5-13mm Cable Glands Joints Cable Gland - PG7, PG9, PG11, PG13.5, PG16

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm about to build a shelter for my feral cats. What does yours look like?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So we have two (2) new feral kittens who need to be TNR'd...and to trap them I need a camera on the Feral Qat Trap (which is attached to the Feral Qat Feeder). But the feeder has only one (1) Cat5e cable which runs across my yard into my neighbor's yard (where I built the feeder) which serves the Feeder camera. So this was a superb opportunity to test out the PoE Extender project box. This is a temporary installation which will be de-installed (and reinstalled inside the Feral Qat Shelter)...so no Teletubbies lunchboxation eh fellas! :)...

Project Note: All cameras in this post were purchased with hard-earned money from hard-working Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY), the best IP camera seller there is. From Hong Kong to Hoboken you simply can't find better IP camera sales and service. thumbsup.gif

First I temp-mounted the PoE Extender box on the side of the Feeder...

IMG_1700.JPG

Since the PoE Extender box will eventually be mounted inside the Qat Shelter -- and since the Shelter needs to be pulled out tipped on its side to be cleaned -- I needed a method to unplug the PoE extender box from the cable that runs to the PoE+ switch in the Gazebo (the alternative was to cut and recrimp the cable every time I needed to clean out the shelter). To meet this need I decided to use a Cat5/6 RJ45 Couplerwhich I wrapped in electrical tape and then wrapped withCoax Seal (the electrical keeps the coupler from getting gunked up with Coax Seal when I eventually de-install the extender box).

IMG_1701.JPG

IMG_1702.JPG

While I was working feral Fluffer stopped by for an early afternoon snack...

IMG_1711.JPG

And here's the finished TEMPORARY dual camera installation running off the PoE extender project box...

IMG_1713.JPG

Which left me with a Feral Qat Trap Camera...

Trap.20181201_153409144.jpg

And a Feral Qat Feeder camera...

IMG_1704.JPG

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I like the work you put into that project. It looks great.

Not a cat-person myself but everyone is different. :) The work that you did put into that is impressive and I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to post the material list. (I wish all forums were that good about it!)

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Now that the two new feral kittens have been trapped, neutered, and released I took the day off to de-installed the PoE extender box and camera from the Feral Qat Trap and did a temporary install inside the the Feral Qat Shelter which is it's intended planned installation location...

shelter01.jpg

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Very nice project! I used that same POE splitter on an install I did. Its on a beachside house and has been going strong for about a year now :D

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So hey, here's some more information regarding this product.

This POE "splitter" worked so well for my two (2) IPC-HDBW4231FP-AS fixed focal length feral cat shelter cameras I purchased another unit to use in my warehouse at work where running cable is a dirty filthy job that I have to do. To save myself a home run back to the server room I used an existing Cat5e cable with the intention of splitting the existing cable out to three (3) Dahua IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Starlight varifocal turrets.

Well...hmmm...two (2) IPC-HDW2231R-ZS's worked great, but adding a third IPC-HDW2231R-ZS resulted in the POE splitter "locking up" with all solid orange LED's (and Blue Iris reporting "no signal"). I'm not certain why this happens, but it's reproducible no matter which of the 3 cameras I substitute. Just a wild guess, it may be that (as a result of the motorized zoom) three (3) IPC-HDW2231R-ZS's uses much more wattage than the POE splitter can muster but two (2) IPC-HDW2231R-ZS's don't breech that mark. I dunno...ideas?

However, the two (2) camera load has been rock solid for several days now and hasn't exhibited any aberrant behavior.

FWIW. FYI. HTH.

OdiySurveil(TM) 4-Port 10/100M IEEE802.3at (power-in) to IEEE802.3af (power-out) PoE Extender for Ethernet/PoE Power

splitter.jpg

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So hey, here's some more information regarding this product.

This POE "splitter" worked so well for my two (2) IPC-HDBW4231FP-AS fixed focal length feral cat shelter cameras I purchased another unit to use in my warehouse at work where running cable is a dirty filthy job that I have to do. To save myself a home run back to the server room I used an existing Cat5e cable with the intention of splitting the existing cable out to three (3) Dahua IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Starlight varifocal turrets.

Well...hmmm...two (2) IPC-HDW2231R-ZS's worked great, but adding a third IPC-HDW2231R-ZS resulted in the POE splitter "locking up" with all solid orange LED's (and Blue Iris reporting "no signal"). I'm not certain why this happens, but it's reproducible no matter which off the 3 cameras I substitute. Just a wild guess, it may be that (as a result of the motorized zoom) three (3) IPC-HDW2231R-ZS's uses much more wattage than the POE splitter can muster but two (2) IPC-HDW2231R-ZS's doesn't breech that mark. I dunno...ideas?

However, the two (2) camera load has been rock solid for several days now and hasn't exhibited any aberrant behavior.

FWIW. FYI. HTH.

OdiySurveil(TM) 4-Port 10/100M IEEE802.3at (power-in) to IEEE802.3af (power-out) PoE Extender for Ethernet/PoE Power

View attachment 37780
The specs list the IPC-HDW2231R-ZS at <9.5w. 3 of those at the maximum rated current does exceed the current rating of the PoE extender.