POE help with TP-Link tl-sf1008p

segen77

n3wb
Reaction score
I really hope someone can help me with this issue.

I have a TL-SF1008P switch that seems to be having trouble powering (or at least sending and transmitting) my two new cameras over longer runs.

Here's the scenario. I am currently running one foscam 9805w (about a 70ft run from switch to poe splitter for camera). I've had this camera setup for a couple of years and I don't recall why I had to use the splitter, but I had a reason at one point. It may have been simimar to the issue I'm having now.

I had two other foscam cameras that were powered via power supply and they have recently quit working so I wanted to replace them with wired poe cameras. I ordered two hikvision ds-2cd2020-i and have an issue. I can connect the cameras and they run just fine with a 25' cable I made. When I try to connect them to one of the two roughly 75' cables I made from the same spool the poe light will come up on the switch, then the transmit/receive lights will come up briefly then go off (and continue this process). I have tested both long cables with the cable tester and do not believe they are bad. Can someone please help me understand what may be going on? Has anyone successfully used this switch with cables around 75-100' without issue?

The cable is Honeywell Catlink 6 Plus P/N 5092 4PR23 (ETL) 308135 CMR/CL2R Sunres (rohs) etl verified cat 6 c

Any help is greatly appreciated

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just did a check on amazon, a lot of the 1 star reviews said this seemed to happen with IP Cams. Some of the ports just stopped working, some weren't able to power IP Cams all at once, some even had sparks shoot out. Even some of the higher reviews said that the cameras would go down from time to time. The consensus was that they dumped it and bought a different brand.

segen77

n3wb
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've found that too. I just don't understand why it would work with a shorter cable and not with a longer cable.

If anyone has any recommendations of a reliable POE switch, please post a link.

I may try this one:
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-FS108PNA-8-Port-Ethernet/dp/B0006NMRVQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Its not likely to be the switch...Are you wiring the cable to the 568B standard?
Also, you needed a splitter for the 9805 because its not a poe camera.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

segen77

n3wb
Reaction score
It's a straight through cable. The color order doesn't matter. If it did it wouldn't work on my shorter cable either. As I see it I basically have two options at this point I believe. I can buy a long pre-made cable (which I don't think will make a difference) or I can replace the switch. When I look at reviews it seems that I'm not the only one with this issue. I did send an email in to TP Link to see what they have to say. It doesn't make sense that it's the switch either, but I'm not sure what else to try.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's a straight through cable. The color order doesn't matter. If it did it wouldn't work on my shorter cable either. As I see it I basically have two options at this point I believe. I can buy a long pre-made cable (which I don't think will make a difference) or I can replace the switch. When I look at reviews it seems that I'm not the only one with this issue. I did send an email in to TP Link to see what they have to say. It doesn't make sense that it's the switch either, but I'm not sure what else to try.
The color difference does matter. The twisted pairs inside the cable are specifically twisted to prevent interference. You need to user the 568 standard to prevent interference. On short runs you wont notice it as much but still likely get lots of dropped packets. On long runs you will see this exact problem. There have been several users who had your exact issue which was resolved when the cable was properly made. Recrimp with 568B.
This is an example
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/7365-DS-2CD2142FWD-IS-won-t-connect-from-afar?highlight=568b

Reaction score
The color difference does matter. The twisted pairs inside the cable are specifically twisted to prevent interference. You need to user the 568 standard to prevent interference. On short runs you wont notice it as much but still likely get lots of dropped packets. On long runs you will see this exact problem. There have been several users who had your exact issue which was resolved when the cable was properly made. Recrimp with 568B.
This is an example
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/7365-DS-2CD2142FWD-IS-won-t-connect-from-afar?highlight=568b
Fenderman is 100% correct. A couple of years ago I decided to start making my own Cat5e cables. I had about a 100 foot run to a poe camera mounted outside. When I crimped the cable, I didn't crimp it to 568B standards. The camera would power up, but I couldn't connect to it via the web interface or access it on the network. I recrimped it multiple times without success. Once I crimped it following the 568B standards, I was able to connect immediately.

BTW I'm using TP-Link TL-S1008P and the TL-SF1008P PoE switch for multiple years without any issues.

segen77

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds good. I'll crimp it with 568B standard and report back.

segen77

n3wb
Reaction score
Well. I'm not too proud to admit when I'm wrong. I had no clue that the cables were different. I assumed that if they matched on both sides they would be good.

Thank you so much for helping me get this working!!!