POE & Hikvision

Peter

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello community.
I am trying to supply power to a 2032-I and a 2432F-IW camera model using a standard POE injector that simply provides permanent power on pins 4,5(+) and 7,8(-).
I was careful and current-limited it to a couple hundred milliamps using from 12V to 48V
but the cameras wont start-up and there is no power drawn from the bench supply either.
Do these cameras really uses mode B POE pinout?.
Do I need to enable something in a menue or add/remove a jumper.
Thanks in advance
-Peter

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1. It requires 48v DC input for PoE
2. Its going to need 7-8W of current to startup.

A standard PoE injector does not provide permanent power, standardized PoE is active PoE and requires the Camera to signal to it that its a PoE capable device before it sends any power down the cable.. so what injector are you using? what its voltage and current output? 802.11a(t/f) is the standard for PoE that HikVision wants.

Passive PoE injectors can work but there dumb and dangerous devices.

Peter

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman and nayr :)
Well I bought this 4-port injector on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Port-Adaptateur-POE-dalimentation-Injecteur-Separateur-Ethernet-pr-IP-Camera-/371171295305?pt=FR_Informatique_Reseaux_Autres&hash=item566b888049
I am feeding this injector with 12,24 and 48V but cameras wont consume any current.
I have verified I have +48V on pins 4,5 and return on pins 7,8
I was thinking since I dont use an active POE injector, there is no POE request to the camera so the camera dont have to answer back
and so is happy with the voltage presented to it.
Reason I bought this was that with little modification I could remotely turn on/off supply to the cameras should they hang
using a remote controlled relay.
I havent found any POE switch that supports simple on/off switching of it's POE ports.
Since I am curious I might have to disassemble the cams to see how this POE function really works.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Port-Adaptateur-POE-dalimentation-Injecteur-Separateur-Ethernet-pr-IP-Camera-/371171295305?pt=FR_Informatique_Reseaux_Autres&hash=item566b888049
I am feeding this injector with 12,24 and 48V but cameras wont consume any current.
I was thinking since I dont use an active POE injector, there is no POE request to the camera so the camera dont have to answer back
Reason I bought this was that with little modification I could remotely turn on/off supply to the cameras should they hang
I havent found any POE switch that supports simple on/off switching of it's POE ports.
Since I am curious I might have to disassemble the cams to see how this POE function really works.
Isn't that why people purchase managed switches, so that they have the remote ability to control the switch?

Peter

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Probably, It would be interesting to know if someone has connected cameras the way I have using these simple injectors in this way and have it working.

Peter

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
UPDATE:
So it seems the 2032 needs about 40V and couple more milliamps to start-up but drops out already at 32V!!!
and the 2432 needs 38V to start-up and drops out at about 33V!!!
Allthough the wiki standard defines 37-57V as operating range for 803.af devices I really thought
the camera itself would be happy with say 24V using the passive method.
I just dont understand why such a high voltage is required to turn on the camera
and that it drops out so early at 37V.
Anyway thanks for answers

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is simply a matter of higher voltage being more efficient to transfer over distance (and small wires), so the PoE 802.3af standard was designed to use ~48 volts. It would have been a waste of Hikvision's time to make the PoE input accept 24V input because they expect people to feed it with actual 802.3af sources.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you tell me what power adapter you're using with that 4 port injector? I seen them on AliExpress for dirt cheap! But, they have no power adapter.
- Thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
my managed poe midspan allows me to remotely power ports, schedule timers to turn them on/off.. also displays how much wattage each device is pulling and of course the state. Through a web browser or telnet.

its a rack mount 24 port off I got off ebay eons ago for ~$60

IIRC the first thing I said was your going to need 48vdc, thats the standard... there are of course PoE devices that run at other voltages, but there non-standard.

Peter

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well I have a 24V din rail supply to use with the injector but you can use any adaptor as long as it supplies enough current for your cameras.
If you only want a single ethernet connection to your camera supplying power, then it has to be 48V since the camera will not turn on
on voltages lower than about 40V~isch.
Also note this 4-port injector didnt have the standard polyswitch fuses despite the description.
Always good to have some fusing for a longer cable.
Since I have my 24V supply I will have use these break-out ethernet things at the camera to extract power from the cable but its perfect since
I am going to power an extra infra led etc anyway :)