POE inconsistency

Frankydp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 2 4231EM-AS. I also have a 150w Ubiquiti poe switch.

One camera when plugged into the Ubiquiti switch will power up and work fine, while the other identical camera will not power up on the ubiquiti switch. Same cable and port, one camera plugged in at a time. It gets weird when I disable power on that port and then add a poe injector in the mix, the camera that would not power up now will power up.

Anyone have any suggestions? Should I just send the one that is acting squirrely back to Andy, or is there something I can do on my side?

Frank

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Be certain that the Ubiquiti switch you have complies with the 802.3af (PoE) or 802.3at (PoE+) standard.
It's my understanding that Ubiquiti doesn't.
Someone will be along to set me straight if I'm wrong. :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Be certain that the Ubiquiti switch you have complies with the 802.3af (PoE) or 802.3at (PoE+) standard.
It's my understanding that Ubiquiti doesn't.
Someone will be along to set me straight if I'm wrong. :)
They have several variants .

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The higher end models support 802.3af/at and 24v passive PoE. I believe you have to set the ports to the correct type of PoE, this is probably @Frankydp's problem.
I guess not,
PoE will automatically be activated on the port when an
802.3af/at device is connected. For 24V passive PoE, PoE must
be manually activated.

Last edited:

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How long is the ethernet cable and what type of cable? Have you swapped cables/ports?

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am running UniFi Switch 16 POE-150W with 9 Dahua cameras and all work fine. I did not change any port settings, just plugged the cameras in. Did have something odd happen recently during a storm where I lost POE. The switch never lost power and it was still switching just no POE. Rebooted the switch and everything came back up just fine.

UBNT-TomS

n3wb
Reaction score
Is this a US-8-150W? All 802.3af devices should power up automatically. 24V passive PoE can be manually enabled on a per-port basis.

Have you tried swapping cables and ports?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The controller software should show the PoE state of each port. Not sure if it shows power consumption, but could be worth a look.

Frankydp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am using a US-8-150 and did try setting to passive 24V. Controller does not show POE on the port when the camera in question is used.

Very short manufactured cable, tried a couple.

The duplicate camera and numerous others work fine on the same port and cable.

Tried multiple cables, ports, configurations on switch. No other issues with any other POE devices. No networking issues.

The specific camera only works when I use an injector, and then works fine. I assume it has something to do with the POE negotiation, although passive should resolve that. I am mostly just curious at this point, as I have just reallocated it to the far end of a wireless bridge that would have required an injector anyways.

Would appreciate any guesses.