POE injector combined with wireless access point.

Reaction score
So I’m still on my education path and thinking about installation of cameras just above face level instead of my current installation at 30 - 40 feet high.

The constraint I have is that I have a brick sided house and I want to keep the installation as clean as possible. So I’m thinking I can drill through the brick and into the adjoining room. In most, if not all cases I will be able to fish the wires / POE Ethernet cable down the wall and out to the room where I’ll be able to connect to a wireless access point (WAP) and POE injector.

What I’m looking for is to keep the inside connections very clean and I thought that if there was a WAP with a POE injector and / or POE pass through that would keep the inside installation pretty clean, limited to just the relatively small WAP.

However I can not locate the combination of a WAP with POE pass through and so a separate POE injector would be required.

1) Any recommendations on installation based on the above?

2) Any WAP solutions with POE pass through that I have missed?

3) Anything else to consider?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
After some additional reading thru the forums here I’m think that hiring someone to fish the cables down from the attic two floors to the point in the brick wall is the way to go.

1) Any issues to consider fishing a cable down from the attic in between the brick and internal side board?

2) Don’t have any experience with this length of cable fishing, so I want to be educated on it before hiring someone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Never dill the brick. drill the mortar.

There is a special piece of equipment for pulling wire. I use a Klein tool 25ft steel fish tape.

I use a POE switch for all my cameras, no injectors.

The biggest problem I have with running wire is that I have very tall ceilings, so all the walls have 2x4 horizontal installed between the studs between 5 and 8 ft up.

I do not have two stories. I have done long ethernet drops between the foam insulation board and the brick. I go up form the hole in the mortar to the attic with the fish wire. I have always use two people, and have done the work in the winter.