PoE injector + PLA

John Joseph

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Will it work to connect a PoE injector to a PLA?

So ..
camera -> PoE injector -> PLA ? Presumably I’d need at least a 2 port injector. A switch could also do it but I’d never run another camera at this location and I have a switch at the router already.

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not sure what you are asking.

You can use a powerline adapter to get a ethernet connection to the camera location and use a POE injector to power the camera.

If you are asking if you can pass POE through a PLA, then the answer is no.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to what @GCoco said ^^^^, that's the best (and cheapest) way, as there is a PLA that supplies POE here but they are expensive.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

John Joseph

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, that’s what I meant - to both power the cam and provide it with network access I need an injector with 2 ports, one to provide the power from the injector itself and secondly so the network access from the PLA can be passed through the injector to the camera. I just wanted to confirm this was correct?

Not sure what you are asking.

You can use a powerline adapter to get a ethernet connection to the camera location and use a POE injector to power the camera.

If you are asking if you can pass POE through a PLA, then the answer is no.
power

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If I am understanding your question correctly, yes.

You could connect it; main switch to PLA (first half of the pair nearest the main switch) then PLA (second half of the pair nearest the camera) to PoE injector/PoE switch then to camera. This would work as the data exits the main switch, traverses the PLA pair, enters the PoE injector so now the network cable carries both data and power which then arrives at the camera.

The best way to think of a matched pair of PLA devices is that they are essentially an ethernet cable of unknown quality. Some PLA implementations work just fine, others are intermittent trouble and some flat out don't work. It largely depends on the electrical wiring being used, the amount of RF noise on those circuits and lastly the quality of the PLA units themselves. Keep in mind that PLA units can experience intermittent disruptions which can be very hard to trace down from things like refrigerators, electric clothes dryers, vacuum cleaners and most anything that can cause disruption on the electrical circuit(s) that the PLA are utilizing...your mileage may vary.

PoE injectors always have at least 2 data connections, 1 for just the data (this is where you would connect your PLA) and 1 for data+power (this is where you would connect your camera). If you mean you would need an injector with more than 1 energized output they do make such things but they are usual same number in and out, for example 8 data connections in with 8 data+power connections out which wouldn't be useful to you I think. As you are talking about PLA I suspect you would only have 1 data connection into that area so a multi-in multi-out solution would mean more PLA units. I think the better choice if you need more than 1 energized PoE out would be a small PoE switch. You could use the PLA connection to connect that small PoE switch to your main switch and have multiple energized outputs, as many as are needed but keep in mind they would all be sharing the single data connect back to your main network. Depending on the model of camera and its settings as few are 3-5 cameras or as many as 10-20 could be too many cameras on that single data connection back to your main switch.

Having passive connectors such as patch panels or wall jacks between the PoE injector and the camera is fine, but having any kind of device like a PLA or a switch or balun or such would not work.

Reaction score
i'm a little confused. I have one Camera hooked up to one of these PLA's and it works fine. Why wouldn't it work?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Blacktuxman... Where does the power come from for the camera ?

The original question was how to use a power line adapter (PLA) and an injector to provide power to the camera over the Ethernet cable.

mist3rwang

n3wb
Reaction score
I just tried out that TRENDnet powerline/PoE TPL-331EP adapter a few months back, and it worked out great. Someone here said that you couldn't pass PoE through a PLA, however this thing did. It le me connect PoE devices over a powerline network. I was able to connect my camera directly to this adapter, and another room i connected an access point directly to this adapter also.

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You cannot use a regular PLA and get POE out. The PLA has to have a built in POE injector. Not the cheapest way to go. Separate PLA and POE injector is much cheaper.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Someone here said that you couldn't pass PoE through a PLA, however this thing did.
No, it passes only data over the power line and at the POE device's end, it supplies POE as well as the passed-thru data. In other words, at the POE-end it has a built-in power supply to provide the power required by the POE device and only data traverses the power line.

That being said, I'm glad it suited your need.