PoE IP Cam Install question.

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone here can help me trouble shoot my problem.
I'm trying to hoop up a couple Hikvision IP PoE cams to an NVR. I wanted to make my on cables so I ordered CAT5E 350MHz copper cable. I made three 30 foot cables and when I hook the camera up, the nvr sees them (says "detecting") but it will not connect. If I make a short cable (under 15') it works perfect. I know the first thing to check would be the crimping at the connectors but they look perfect and test good with a tester. Any ideas why the longer cable will not work?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone here can help me trouble shoot my problem.
I'm trying to hoop up a couple Hikvision IP PoE cams to an NVR. I wanted to make my on cables so I ordered CAT5E 350MHz copper cable. I made three 30 foot cables and when I hook the camera up, the nvr sees them (says "detecting") but it will not connect. If I make a short cable (under 15') it works perfect. I know the first thing to check would be the crimping at the connectors but they look perfect and test good with a tester. Any ideas why the longer cable will not work?
Hi Bruce,

Does the tester test ALL the connections? ( that is all the wires, some may only test 4 wires )
Are the cameras powering up?
If the cameras are powering up, it could be needing to have the IP, user/passwd, port configurations issue.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you certain of the following:
  • You don't have CCA cable.
  • You have the correct Rj45 connectors for the cable.
  • You used the 568b or 568a standard for placement of wires in the rj45's.
Problems such as this almost always come down to a cable problem.

Reaction score
Thanks for replying.
It is not CCA, it is copper.
I have tried two different rj45 connectors, the second batch being from Tripp Lite
I did not use 568b or 568a standard placement but have made sure all the wires match at both ends.

Reaction score
Hi Bruce,

Does the tester test ALL the connections? ( that is all the wires, some may only test 4 wires )
Are the cameras powering up?
If the cameras are powering up, it could be needing to have the IP, user/passwd, port configurations issue.
Bruce Wohldmannn3wb
New
Yes, the tester tests all 8 wires. The ir lights light up when I plug the camera in.
The camera works on a shorter cable so it is not a ip/password/port issue

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for replying.
I have tried two different rj45 connectors, the second batch being from Tripp Lite
I did not use 568b or 568a standard placement but have made sure all the wires match at both ends.
Won't work, you MUST use the 568a or b standard. Preferably 568b.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Won't work, you MUST use the 568a or b standard. Preferably 568b.
Thanks for replying.
Hi Bruce,

The reason a random set of colors will not work is that the wires are twisted in special pairing to allow EMI to be cancelled properly.

RockyJ

n3wb
Reaction score
I used CCA on three runs one 45 foot and two 75 foot runs. Hikvision POE IP cameras to a Hikvision 7616 NVR . Is there a problem with the CCA cat5e ? Something I should watch for in the future ?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I used CCA on three runs one 45 foot and two 75 foot runs. Hikvision POE IP cameras to a Hikvision 7616 NVR . Is there a problem with the CCA cat5e ? Something I should watch for in the future ?
Yes, CCA can have issues per Belden here ==>> CCA Cable Should Be Avoided.
  • Oxidation and corrosion
  • Not suitable for PoE applications
  • Poor flexibility and bend radius
  • Shorter cable runs

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Beside's being wary of CCA, also be wary of whom you purchase from, anybody can print anything on a box. There is a lot of crap cable out there.