POE ip cam not starting up on switch

Akad

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an existing installation with an nvr + 4 ip cams, the brand is novodio with seems to be a rebrand of foscam for the French market for some reason.

I couldn't find much documentation or even thread of people talking about those ip cam.

My wish is to move away from the nvr which is terrible to operate and offer no redirection of flux, going to an home assistant with a poe+ switch.

I bought the TL-SG108PE which does 802.3af/at, yet when plugging in the cameras, not even a light on the switch nor the camera.

I was wondering if anyone would have a clue on the problem I might be having.

All the cameras are already mounted and cabled, that's why I would love to have those working instead of buying new ones.

I'll join some pictures of the cameras and I will edit if I find new information.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought the TL-SG108PE which does 802.3af/at, yet when plugging in the cameras, not even a light on the switch nor the camera.

I was wondering if anyone would have a clue on the problem I might be having.
My guess would be that the novodio NVR isn't using standard PoE for the connected cameras, maybe something like a 12v output.
Is there any more info on the camera label than what's in your screenshot?

Akad

n3wb
Reaction score
My guess would be that the novodio NVR isn't using standard PoE for the connected cameras, maybe something like a 12v output.
Is there any more info on the camera label than what's in your screenshot?
I tried that look if I could find where the power was coming from and it seems to be on 4/8 and about 9v, but it's not consistent or I'm taking it right.

The color code is obviously not standard, not sur how to be certain, I was thinking maybe I could switch the power wires to correspond to the switch but I have no idea if that would even work.

Attachments

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd say @alastairstevenson is onto something regarding the cameras operating voltage. I could be wrong beacause there's not a lot of info or model numbers in the specs to confirm (and they're in French) but these cams look like yours and the NVR they are connected to has picture of the rear panel with a 19 volt power supply input. POE NVR's that are POE 802.3af/at-compliant have a 48 to 57 VDC input unless the power supply is built-in.

Zmodo, Funlux, Sannce and maybe others are known to have provided non-standard POE cams and NVR's called "sPOE" (Simplified Power Over Ethernet) or some other stupid variant. I worked on some Zmodos that were 19 volt and used only 4 wires (DC +, DC-, and 1 data pair) in the CAT cable.

Akad

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd say @alastairstevenson is onto something regarding the cameras operating voltage. I could be wrong beacause there's not a lot of info or model numbers in the specs to confirm (and they're in French) but these cams look like yours and the NVR they are connected to has picture of the rear panel with a 19 volt power supply input. POE NVR's that are POE 802.3af/at-compliant have a 48 to 57 VDC input unless the power supply is built-in.

Zmodo, Funlux, Sannce and maybe others are known to have provided non-standard POE cams and NVR's called "sPOE" (Simplified Power Over Ethernet) or some other stupid variant. I worked on some Zmodos that were 19 volt and used only 4 wires (DC +, DC-, and 1 data pair) in the CAT cable.
This documentation contain zero technical specification, but I did look into the power supply and it is 19v.

Does it means that I would never be able to use it without the nvr ? I imagine even with a spliter, I tried one, it probably doesn't even respect the data wire so I won't be able to plug it into the switch.

I guess I'll have to get new cameras if I want to connect to home assistant.

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does it means that I would never be able to use it without the nvr ? .
Unless you can determine and replicate the schema used to power the cams, I'd say "yes".

I guess I'll have to get new cameras if I want to connect to home assistant.
Although more money, in the long run you'd probably be happier especially if you obtain some cameras with a good-sized sensor for great nighttime performance, such as 4MP with 1/1.8" sensor.

Akad

n3wb
Reaction score
Unless you can determine and replicate the schema used to power the cams, I'd say "yes".

Although more money, in the long run you'd probably be happier especially if you obtain some cameras with a good-sized sensor for great nighttime performance, such as 4MP with 1/1.8" sensor.
I've seen some people talking about aliexpress ones, If I could get 100 euros for 4 cameras or something close with good enough quality for security, I'll be happy.

The one recommended in the US that are cheap and good, are relatively expensive in the EU.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, but I have no recommendations that meet your criteria....best wishes to you in your search, hopefully someone else can help.

That said, I will say that when you do decide and purchase some cams, set them up on your bench or table to insure they work before you mount them. :cool:

Akad

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry, but I have no recommendations that meet your criteria....best wishes to you in your search, hopefully someone else can.

That said, I will say that when you do decide and purchase some cams, set them up on your bench or table to insure they work before you mount them. :cool:
That's good advice, thanks for your help and thanks to alastair.

It was quick to find out my problem.

I'll keep on checking on the thread if I get a couple recommendations within the week.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried that look if I could find where the power was coming from and it seems to be on 4/8 and about 9v, but it's not consistent or I'm taking it right.
If the NVR was providing a standard IEEE 802.3af/at facility, it would not be possible to measure the full supplied voltage until the powered device (eg camera) had completed the prescribed handshake that's needed before power is turned on.
Prior to that, a small voltage could be measured as the NVR periodically tries to sense the 25k resistance that is the signature of a PoE-powered device.