POE IP camera non compliant with 802.3af ... Looking for cable

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have or can you put another NIC in your PC? With dual interfaces you could put your workstation on both the NVR's lan and your LAN and have access to the cameras, but only from that workstation..

the isolation is not a bad thing, I have all my cameras and NVR's isolated on a seperate subnet with a firewall inbetween.. I dont trust any black bock device I cant administrate directly and review and build my own code.. especially devices that can literally see my family and property.

this behavior is a fallback to CCTV, closed circuit does mean something and putting IPCameras on a shared LAN with internet access is hardly a closed circuit.. making them so they only talk to the NVR on a isolated network provides that capability in a simple form that is hard to screw up.

Last edited by a moderator:

nebv

n3wb
Reaction score
Thx for this interesting ideea with two NICs in the PC, but yet is not realistic for me anymore , because I just planed a much better infrastructure for my system. The NVR will get closed in a "special" room (basement) and will be connected with the POE switch (in garett) with 1GB. The cams will remain visible on LAN, with some "fws" to the internet.

The cams will be mounted around the house under roof. It is easier with the POE switch in garett without 8 cables down to the nvr...just one cable with 1GB. No WI-FI at all...I suppose the NVR (and the HDD) has a much better life expectation in basement by constantly 18°C as in garret. In garret we have in summer more than 50°C. The industrial switch can resist from -25°C to 60°C.

At end I can live better by reason of this NVR "issue" because I have a much flexible and stable system regarding temerature.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
small question regarding 9xPOE NVR 2508 from dongjia but even from other suplier .... the NVR has 8 POE 100MBit Ports in one Network segment (NIC1) and 1 GBit Port (NIC2) on another network segment.
I tried one or two days several things like forwarding activating, static rules on the router ...and so on.. wihout success.
Just out of interest - does your Dongjia NVR allow you telnet or SSH access to the Linux shell?
If so - check out the existence and value of 'cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward' for the kernel routing setting between the 2 interfaces.

Stealth22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you have or can you put another NIC in your PC? With dual interfaces you could put your workstation on both the NVR's lan and your LAN and have access to the cameras, but only from that workstation
I've been looking at doing this myself...would the BlueIris mobile app still work though, as long as I'm connected to my home network? (Either via wifi or VPN)

Or would I be strictly restricted to RDP'ing into that PC?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
as long as your BlueIris is on your LAN it will connect, but you'll have to RDP to the PC if you want to get to any of the IPCameras that are on its own network

Stealth22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
as long as your BlueIris is on your LAN it will connect, but you'll have to RDP to the PC if you want to get to any of the IPCameras that are on its own network
For the camera firmware web interface? That's fine. But would the app still show the images from the cameras, via the web server built into BI? (My apologies, I haven't used BI or the mobile app, so I have no idea how it works yet!)

Or would I need to install that proxy application that @bp2008 wrote?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the bi app talks to BI, so if your BI NVR is mult-homed the app should work on either network.. but to transit past your BI server you'll want to RDP or setup proxy/routing between them.. that wont be using the BI app, so its not a problem

Stealth22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
the bi app talks to BI, so if your BI NVR is mult-homed the app should work on either network.. but to transit past your BI server you'll want to RDP or setup proxy/routing between them.. that wont be using the BI app, so its not a problem
Perfect, that'll work! :D

If I really need to get to the cameras directly, I can just RDP into that PC. Even if I don't have my laptop, I've got an RDP app for Android...its a tad clunky, but in a pinch, it works, lol.

nebv

n3wb
Reaction score
Just out of interest - does your Dongjia NVR allow you telnet or SSH access to the Linux shell?
If so - check out the existence and value of 'cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward' for the kernel routing setting between the 2 interfaces.
I found the pwd for the root on the net and I accessed the NVR through simple putty telnet port 23:) no ssh here :-( ...
but their Hilinux is a not realy a very standard one... the ip_forward is "0" I tried to change it to "1" without success.
I didn't found the start scripts to initialize forwarding at start .. maybe they are hidden under other names somewhere on the flashrom

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting!
How did you try to change the value?
It could be, for example
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
Check if it sticks using cat as above.
But if that does work, the value would not survive a reboot. To make permanent a startup script would need to do it, as you have considered.
But if it does change it, you could experiment with the LAN routing. The PoE cameras would need their default gateway set to the PoE nic IP address for them to be able to route LAN traffic.

nebv

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried even the echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward .. the cat after that showed "1" .... but with no results regarding forwarding. I'm thinking if would be possible to put another FW from another suplier with similar Hi3535 NVRs .. but I am afraid that if something goes wrong I will transform it in garbage ... As I see the china-guys are selling similar items under different names .... Maybe it exist somewhere a better FW for this Dongjia 2508. Not extra for forwarding, because as I read here, that this it's the rule for NVRs with dual NICs but maybe for other functions which are very very primitive ...or missing at all.
Also I would like to know what for a DSP is in the CAM (they said HI3516) and CMOS (they said Sony IMX222)... How could I check that ? Is somebody aware about that?
THX

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried even the echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward .. the cat after that showed "1" ....
That is the correct result.
On the face of it, the Linux kernel in the NVR will now route packets between the LAN nic and the PoE nic.
Given the correct default gateway on a PoE-connected camera (ie the IP address of the PoE nic), and the correct routing info on your LAN - ie 'route all for network <PoE nic IP address range> via NVR LAN port' you should be able to reach the PoE connected cameras from a device on your LAN.