Poe ip camera with access point

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So i have 4 reolink ip cameras on the corners of our house.
Is it possible to add an access point to the same cat 5 with the poe for the camera?

I need wifi signal outdoors at our patio and was hoping to not run another cable out there.

Can it be done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can't recommend reolink or wireless . You will learn .

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All 4 of my reolinks are working fine. Idk what the problems are?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i dont think he's wanting to run a WiFi camera; he's already got the Reolinks (suck yea) and wants to split the PoE line so he can run a PoE outdoor access point.. I'd suggest the Ubiquiti UniFi Outdoor

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
All 4 of my reolinks are working fine. Idk what the problems are?

Many posts on the subject I'm new here and I understand it.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i dont think he's wanting to run a WiFi camera; he's already got the Reolinks (suck yea) and wants to split the PoE line so he can run a PoE outdoor access point.. I'd suggest the Ubiquiti UniFi Outdoor
Ah ok

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Correct! It will be ubiquiti something. I have the unifi ac pros thru the house.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the UniFi AC pro's also throughout the house and the Amazon.com: Ubiquiti UniFI AP Outdoor+ Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, 2.4 GHz speed, speed upto 300 Mbps: Computers & Accessories strapped to my chimney to provide outdoor access to the front/back yards..

Inside everything is on 5GHz with an access point on each level, and outdoors is 2.4Ghz and another SSID so I can run it on full power and everything dont try to roam over to it.. I just move over manually when im outside and 5Ghz starts sucking.

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the UniFi AC pro's also throughout the house and the Amazon.com: Ubiquiti UniFI AP Outdoor+ Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, 2.4 GHz speed, speed upto 300 Mbps: Computers & Accessories strapped to my chimney to provide outdoor access to the front/back yards..

Inside everything is on 5GHz with an access point on each level, and outdoors is 2.4Ghz and another SSID so I can run it on full power and everything dont try to roam over to it.. I just move over manually when im outside and 5Ghz starts sucking.
I have mine to boot off user at a certain dbm. Then it roams to the next ap.

It works pretty well.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Very nice !

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have mine to boot off user at a certain dbm. Then it roams to the next ap.
my problem is that the 2.4GHz Outdoor on my fireplace @ full power pretty much has the same dBm or better as the ones in my living room and top floor.. I wanted speed indoors so I just nuked 2.4GHz WiFi entirely because I have enough spread throughout the house I can get 400Mbps+ from anywhere..

The outdoor units are quite powerfull compared to the indoor units; they trying to cover much larger areas; I use it to also provide free wifi to anyone within range.. cuz cellular connections suck here and im just cool like that... Open Wireless Movement

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
my problem is that the 2.4GHz Outdoor on my fireplace @ full power pretty much has the same dBm or better as the ones in my living room and top floor.. I wanted speed indoors so I just nuked 2.4GHz WiFi entirely because I have enough spread throughout the house I can get 400Mbps+ from anywhere..

The outdoor units are quite powerfull compared to the indoor units; they trying to cover much larger areas; I use it to also provide free wifi to anyone within range.. cuz cellular connections suck here and im just cool like that... Open Wireless Movement
Pretty sweet! We are pretty rural so i dont have good internet access here.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I have enough spread throughout the house I can get 400Mbps+ from anywhere..
I have plenty of Mbps throughout my house. But using Comcast as my ISP, I'm limited to ~50Mbps down, and ~6Mbps up.
I use a EnGenius ENS1200 Dual Band AC1200 High-powered/Long-range Wireless Outdoor AP.
No chimmey mounted AP for my neighbors.... I'm stingy w/ my comcast b/w.

Fastb

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to split a cable into 2 circuits? My spitters should be here soon. You can wire your own, but I wasn't in a hurry. ( $1.00 each) OP could put camera on one circuit and AP on the other. Need to check out if poe still works, but would need power for AP anyway.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to split a cable into 2 circuits? My spitters should be here soon. You can wire your own, but I wasn't in a hurry. ( $1.00 each) OP could put camera on one circuit and AP on the other. Need to check out if poe still works, but would need power for AP anyway.
I linked the proper device in the first post; and no you cant split 802.3AF/AT, it can potentially use any of the 4 pairs depending on what mode the powering device wants to use.