PoE Managed Switch

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this switch?

Dell Networking X1018P E11W 16Port Gigabit PoE 2x SFP Port Smart Managed Switch

It seems to have what I am looking for (gigabit, DHCP with Reservations/Static Address Assignment, MAC filtering, and 16 PoE ports) but want to make sure that it is a good switch and the price is not out of line.

Or is there a better one with the same types of features?

Thanks,

Eric

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Eric, I don't know much at all about that specific switch, but from what I read it is enterprise-level, has many desirable features, does a great job and that's a great price IMO BUT....

It's a model with a "P" suffix meaning it has 2 fans (notice that listing does not show a rear view !) and the specs say the noise level is 54.6 db. That level coincides with ratings of some small AC window units on medium cool. That's a figure that is somewhat subjective in nature, only you will know if it's acceptable and likely depends on where the switch will be installed. If in a closet away from your living space, likely no problem. If in your office near your desk or in a bedroom closet with the NVR, etc. it could be an issue.

If the sound level does turn out to be problematic then the fans could be replaced with quieter Noctua fans but that's an additional expense and may not achieve the best cooling when under load in a higher ambient temp....altering a design can sometimes backfire. Personally I wouldn't want to do that unless someone GAVE me the switch.

Maybe the safe bet would be to consider the fanless version with no "P" suffix and an image that shows no fans, there are some there on eBay.

EDIT 2/4 1634 CT: Be advised that the "P" suffix indicates POE with fans, no "P" suffix is not POE and so is fanless.

Last edited:

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@TonyR , thanks. I had missed the 2 fans thing, that could be problematic. From reading the Docs for the Dell Switches, I understood the "P" to be the PoE versions.

Thanks again,

Eric

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that would make sense but on page 2 of the specs found here:

(Click on thumbnail to enlarge)

View attachment 153104
You are both correct. The P does indicate the POE version and therefore the only P version needs the fans because of the heat generated from POE...This is why the smaller x1008p which is 8 port poe does not have a fan because the load is small enough to dissipate with passive cooling.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, P suffix is for POE and no P suffix means not POE, hence no fan(s) needed because of less generated heat.

Sometimes I think people that author literature are detached from reality and/or never have someone else outside their department read it and see if it makes sense. Dell Business and Enterprise is at the top of the list for lack of clarity.

You really have to do your homework, too...this eBay description says it's POE and has no fans but the service tag 7SLYWC2 does not say it's POE ==>> Dell X1018 EMC X Series 16x 1GB PoE RJ-45 2x 1GB SFP Switch

The vendor likely sells both and did a copy/paste when selling.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
ok here is the one i have in a rack at the condo( where I no longer work) There is already noise in the room from an exhaust fan.....so I barely hear the rack....the PC however can sometimes ramp up it's fan when reviewing video clips. But i'm sure if you look at the decibel specs its about the same as the dell

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The thing about enterprise level equipment is that they're typically designed for use in server rooms where noise is less of an issue.
Some gear will be near silent some will be unusable in a household environment.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I put one in the garage . a Cisco...kinda of SOHO switch....Built in power supply, built in fan....compared the C3560X which has hot swappable fans and PSU's.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a cisco sg350-10p which is fanless so no noise at all but I wish it did have a small fan.
Switch temps get up to 70 Celcius where it currently is in the rack in my garage.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I put an 1100 Watt in my 24 port, next to the 715 watt. because the 1100 watt is just idling along pushing the 24 port. It's fan doesn't spin up as loud as the 715 watt fan which was a continous hum....
When i pulled the plug on the 715 and made the switch over it was like " ahhh" quiet.....

1675552208434.png
Table 6. Power Supply Models
[TD]Models[/TD]

[TD]Default Power Supply[/TD]

[TD]Available PoE Power[/TD]​
[TD]24 Port Data Switch[/TD]

[TD]C3KX-PWR-350WAC[/TD]

[TD]-[/TD]​
[TD]48 Port Data Switch[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]​
[TD]24 Port PoE Switch[/TD]

[TD]C3KX-PWR-715WAC[/TD]

[TD]435W[/TD]​
[TD]48 Port PoE Switch[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]​
[TD]48 Port Full PoE Switch[/TD]

[TD]C3KX-PWR-1100WAC[/TD]

[TD]800W[/TD]​
[TD]24 Port UPOE Switch[/TD]

[TD]C3KX-PWR-1100WAC[/TD]

[TD]800W[/TD]​
[TD]48 Port UPOE Switch[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]​

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
heres something to consider....I'm thinkin that 1/2 the ports are POE like my SG200-26P...it has 12 POE 802.3af ports.
Oh dude...it has 4 fans on the left side....
1675553158159.png

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
it has 4 fans on the left side..
It has 4 fan vents. It doesn't necessarily have 4 fans.
Similar model switches may use the same chassis but have different features.
Eg. That chassis may be used for four slightly different switches that have 1, 2, 3 or 4 fans respectively.

You have to check the specs for the specific model to confirm.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
ok thanks...i wonder what the OP is thinking...I wish had some Dell switch knowledge but I do not.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Unifi makes a good managed switch that is advertised as ultra quiet. I have the 24 port Pro model that is a 1U rack mount model. Works great for me.
It has 16 Poe+ ports and 8 POE ++ ports, along with (2) 10 GB SFP+ ports.
Switch Pro 24 PoE
699 for a 24 port poe switch? Unifi lost their minds long ago. The op was looking at an 89 dollar switch. There is a middle ground of 150-200 managed poe switches.