PoE maximum length?

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Haha, I had a hard enough time finding the far end on my half full 530 foot test spool, Like to never got to the far end to terminate it lol. I would love to try 1k but don't have the patience to get to the end of a full spool!

Here are a few examples of the wireless shots and equipment on them. I use Nanastation M5 for my wireless shots in all of these. Hik cameras are usually 8-10 FPS and they may be in 2 or 3mp mode depending on the shot I need, at times the wide view is more useful and they are at 2mp.

1. I have 10 IP cameras on the wireless side of the connections with 500' camera runs and less on here, 7 Hikvision 3mp cameras, 2 older ACTi 1mp cameras and one ACTi 2mp camera. Streaming 25mb or so over the wireless.

2. I have 14 IP cameras here, 12 Hikvison 3mp cameras, one 4mp hemispheric, and one 4ch Axis analog encoder with 2 cameras on it now. Total data stream is about 40mb and it says I am using about half of what my wireless shot will handle.

3. 5 4mp Hikvision cameras all running in 4mp mode, 8 fps. Using 30mb here! Good lord the 4mp cameras have GIANT streams compared to the 3mp cameras, looking at the data on the streams in exacq they are 5-6 times larger streams than the 3mp cameras here at this same site. There would be no way to do 14 4mp cameras and really be reliable I do not believe.

4. 6 IP cameras here, 5 Hikvision 3mp and one ACTi 2mp camera. Total stream is only 7mb on this shot, I double checked my settings and all is normal but my streams seems very small for 6 cameras but I'm not going to complain. Says I'm using about 9% of my available bandwidth.

I have had great reliability out of them, all of these mentioned have been in place for more than a year, and I have locations that are over three years with wireless running perfectly. I have had exactly one wireless transceiver go bad so far, and that was water damage on an end so I cannot blame Ubiquiti for that one either. All in all I do some weird runs using fiber, wireless, and even double spec 550 foot cat5 runs and they all work perfectly so I'm pretty happy overall. More issues out of my fiber links than I've ever had with wireless or over long cat5 oddly enough.

Also - I do have a site running a full 100mb on the DVR side nonstop now I noticed the other day. 29 IP cameras, 27 of them Hikvision and 2 ACTi. 8 fps primarily but a few at 10 and 12 fps. None of these are wireless though lol.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive got Ubiquiti Access points installed in other states that have been churning along outside 5 years minimum without as much as a hiccup.. I have 3 dual band AC access points spread throughout the house and I can max out my 100Mbit internet with any device from anywhere on my property.

its hard to beat Ubiquiti in cost vs performance.. unless you buy one of there cams lol

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I would like to let anyone know who wants to stretch that 328 ft. or 100 meters as far as possible.. I currently have a crazy set up so ill give you the short version first.
I have a camera up and running that i just finished installing tonight in the pitch black dark of the forest and its 500 ft.
yes 500 ft.
Secondly what makes this more crazy is this: my internet box on the outside of my house is fiber. from there i run
~30ft to the main router then
~75ft to a switch (and also split off the other direction 250ft to a chicken coop router and then another 250ft to a house with wifi and cameras. the chicken coop has camera, the house also splits off ~250 ft to another switch with has cameras extending 400ft from there)
~450ftfrom the 75ftswitch^ to a extender switch in the woods that has a camera 400ft from there
-330ft further is another switch that is running 2 cameras.
~500ft is where one of those cameras is a 8.3mp 30fps camera that seems to be functioning well but its night right now and havent tested motion. Blue Iris is saying that its using 1,050 kb/s currently.

Now idk what kind of packet loss or anything about that mumbo jumbo but im not noticing any problems other than the bugs that have already found my new cam. Now I really wish i would have tested out the '1000 spool of cat6 underground burial before splitting it. I have tried 600ft run of cat5e that didnt work so i dont go more than 500.
You must be using 23ga pure copper. Copper clad aluminum won't get you half of that distance. I have two that are just over 500'.

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A few months ago I had a partial roll of Ubiquiti TOUGHCable Carrier cat 5e. So, I rolled it down the driveway and stepped it off. About 475'. I then installed a connector on each end. Then connected one end to a Ubiquiti POE+ switch and the other end to a Dahua 2mp IP camera. It worked fine. So, I waited till dark to test it with the IR illuminators lit. That worked fine too. No degradation in IR light and no problem running the camera at 1080p at 30fps. I should have taken more time to measure the voltage drop in the run.

Reaction score
I currently have a crazy set up so ill give you the short version first.
Realize that the theoretical max distance of 100 meters is:
1. Theoretical. There is nothing magical about 100 meters. It is a nice round BPN the engineers could say will work.
2. Is the distance from one powered network connection to the next. So say you have a cam that is connected to a switch that is 300 feet away, and that switch is connected to another switch that is 300 feet away, and that switch is connected to your BI server 200 feet away, that is 800 total feet. But that is fine from the ethernet standards point of view since none of the connections are more than 100 meters.