Poe on nvr or poe on switch??

Mattb83

n3wb
Reaction score
hi everyone, I’m very new to ip cams but I’ve got a 24 port switch at home with poe... when I setup my ip cameras am I best to connect them straight to the switch? Or into the nvr? Are there any pros and cons to either? Will I get any lag if they go to the switch when viewing remotely?. I’d prefer to connect them to the switch as I’ve heard the poe nvrs can be a little noises with the built in fans??
Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
when I setup my ip cameras am I best to connect them straight to the switch? Or into the nvr?
That's as much governed by your wiring topology as anything.
I’d prefer to connect them to the switch as I’ve heard the poe nvrs can be a little noises with the built in fans??
I'd be willing to bet that a 24-port PoE switch (which will presumably be a full-featured managed switch) will be a good bit noisier than the NVR.
The implication is that they are not co-located, so this probably determines your wiring layout.
Will I get any lag if they go to the switch when viewing remotely?
The difference will be negligible - an extra switch level would only add microseconds to a packet's transit time.

Mattb83

n3wb
Reaction score
I can connect to either one just as easy as the other, I’ve installed a small data cabinet with all data’s and cams, the cabinet also includes the switch and the nvr is on a shelf underneath.

The switch isn’t actually that noisy as I’ve upgraded the fans so I can not hear it from outside the cupboard, it’s only a bit of a concern as the cupboard is in my living room so I don’t want to hear it while sitting in the evening.

To be honest I’ve never even heard the noise of an nvr but if it’s as loud as my switch used to be then I’ll have problems.... if I can still use the cameras in the Same way by plugging them into the switch then I may just do that.

I guess if I did do that then I’d still need a nvr to record and allow remote access anyway?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I wanted to keep my cameras isolated and off the internet and thus getting a NVR w/o PoE ports was useful as I had limited room in my "data rack" for additional equipment as my switch is being used for the LAN and internet connected devices.