POE powered and passthrough gigabit switch / splitter

ptr727

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I would like to connect a second device, but I only have one CAT6 cable.
I'm looking for a small (to fit in junction box) 1 port in 2 port out / 3 port switch that is powered by POE and will pass POE to the output ports and is gigabit speed.

I've seen a couple 100Mb devices, but not gigabit devices.
Any suggestions?

Delete

n3wb
Reaction score
Funny thing. I was just registering to ask the exact same question!
Do we really need gigabit for this?
So far the best I have found is the Netgear Prosafe Plus GS105PE. Depends on how big your junction box is though..

SSNapier

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is a problem with this scenario. Do you know the power draw of the devices on the "out" side of this switch? Also, do you know the max wattage per port on the switch feeding this smaller switch? Unless they are class 1 devices it would almost certainly not work reliably because the switch itself is going to be at least class 2.

For those that do not know the classes of POE, here is a chart:

Class 0 (undefined) max 15.4W
Class 1 max 4W, max 3.84W at device
Class 2 max 7W, 6.49W at device
Class 3 max 15.4W, 12.95W at device
Class 4 max 15.4W, reserved (not for device use)

Delete

n3wb
Reaction score
Mine is poe+ and should be capable of 30w on a single port so that should be no problem..

ptr727

n3wb
Reaction score
I use a 30W injector and two devices are 7W, leaving room for switch power.
Junction box is small, cavity in wall is big, but the smaller the switch the better.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
not really any smaller than the packedge i linked to...

5.31 x 3.03 x 1.06"
vs
4.7 x 3.2 x 1.4"

ptr727

n3wb
Reaction score
not really any smaller than the packedge i linked to...

5.31 x 3.03 x 1.06"
vs
4.7 x 3.2 x 1.4"
True, but the CyberData one is readily available, even on Amazon, other than the eBay link, I did not find a retailer for the Pakedge model?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
nevermind. while powered by poe, the packedge i linked to doesn't seem to pass it thru. my bad...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Though not ideal, remember that in a pinch you can actually connect to poe cameras with a single ethernet cable if using a poe switch/injector that uses Mode A. Only 4 wires are used per device.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Would this work with hikvision NVR poe? I have one location where i want to add second camera but there is only one ethernet cable. not easy to run second. Would a cyberdata splitter work while being connect to nvr's poe port to power 2 cameras?

SSNapier

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Would this work with hikvision NVR poe? I have one location where i want to add second camera but there is only one ethernet cable. not easy to run second. Would a cyberdata splitter work while being connect to nvr's poe port to power 2 cameras?
I would not recommend that, since the power budget for the NVR is typically much lower than an equivalent dedicated switch. You could do it with an injector at the NVR, but I would not push it with the POE being provided from the NVR.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would not recommend that, since the power budget for the NVR is typically much lower than an equivalent dedicated switch. You could do it with an injector at the NVR, but I would not push it with the POE being provided from the NVR.
I'll have to get the specs of the nvr output. This would definitely solve my problem.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
question - How would injector at the nvr work? which injector should I get?