POE problems

Reaction score
I have these two Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-I cameras; Serial number DS-2CD2032F-I20150929CCWR544816028 and Serial number DS-2CD2032F-I20150604CCWR521641095. Both are running firmware version V5.4.5 build 170123.

Both ran fine with TP-Link POE1505 adapters for over 2 years. One stopped working. I switched out the POE1505's and the camera that stopped worked again.

Instead of replacing the TP-Link POE1505 with another one, I bought a BV-Tech POE-SW501 4 port POE switch so I can add a couple more cameras with minimal clutter.

One camera works perfectly with the switch. The other will not work. Had to go back to the remaining TP-Link POE1505 to get it back on.

I tried different cables, blah blah blah. That camera just will not connect with that switch with any cable in any port. It does turn on, but doesn't appear or connect.

The two cameras are on different IP addresses.

Any ideas, folks? I'd like to understand why it won't work and make it work!

Thank you!!!

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How long of run is the wire to the cam that doesn't work?
Are you certain the cable is not CCA. CCA will cause issue's.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The cable length is only about 30'. The wire is copper colored stranded conductors. The camera has been working for 2.5 years with the same cable and the TP-LInk POE-1505 adapter.

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer. I believe I'm good there. I took the camera down and took it into the air conditioned house for a day to make sure the connectors were dry. Seems very weird that it works fine on the TP-Link adapter, but not the switch. Same wire. The BV-tech POE switch was inexpensive, but does appear to be a high quality piece.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer. I believe I'm good there. I took the camera down and took it into the air conditioned house for a day to make sure the connectors were dry. Seems very weird that it works fine on the TP-Link adapter, but not the switch. Same wire. The BV-tech POE switch was inexpensive, but does appear to be a high quality piece.
is the cable wired to 568 standard? did you crimp it yourself or is it premade?

Reaction score
Thanks again Yes, I can. Switch works with the other DS-2CD2032F-I and whatever else I plug into it. I don't have any more POE devices to try, however. Perhaps there's enough resistance somewhere in the system to trip up the POE auto sensing. The POE switch does seem to be powering up the camera, but doesn't connect. Connects and powers up fine with the TP-Link adapter.

I should tell you that, about a year ago, the plug connector on the camera got water in it and corroded. I cut it off and put on a punch down jack according to a Hikvision color coding diagram I found on the internet. At that time I bought two water tight plastic boxes and put the wire ends in them. The camera worked fine after I did this and it is still working fine with the TP-Link adapter. Could I have goofed something up there?

Last edited:

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
So we have established that you are able to power up the camera with your switch. Does the camera stay powered up or does it cycle on and off? Put your hands over the lens until the IR comes on and see if they go off at any time. Try this for a few minutes. If the camera is cycling on and off due to PoE issues, it will cycle with in seconds after it turns on. If this is not the problem, try searching for the camera using SADP or your connected devices section of your modem, to see if it is on, just at a different address on a different scheme. You probably could go back over the jack with your punch down tool, maybe replace the jack and try clipping your wires back 1/2 inch before you punch it down again. Re-test and see what happens.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for all your help. I put a new punch down jack on the end of the camera lead after cutting it back a bit. No difference. I'm stumped. I tried different IP addresses. Checked to be sure that every single setting on the two cameras is exactly the same. Can't spend any more time on it for a few days. I hooked it back up the TP-Link power injector and neated up the wire ball. It's working fine for now. The other camera works fine in all 4 ports on the POE switch. I hate to leave a mystery unsolved though...