POE Question

qjschum

n3wb
Reaction score
So currently I have 2 cameras on my network and I am going to be adding 2 more. The existing 2 cameras I have one placed indoors to watch the garage and then one on the exterior of the garage to watch the driveway. I am going to be replacing the driveway camera with a better camera and then putting the existing drive way camera on the other corner of the garage to view the gate. My question is, could I get away with using a splitter between the two cameras instead of having to run a whole new wire? If so what would be recommended. The 4th camera will be added to the front door of the house witch will be in a seperate location that will require a wire pull.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
keep it simple. Put a 4 port POE switch in the garage. Depending on your summers it more than like will survive. I have had a cheap poe switch in the garage for 18 months no failure yet. Houston Texas

Reaction score
As Southern Yankee suggests, add a Poe switch. Here we have a UniFi switch in the garage which is down link from a UniFi switch in the closet which is down link from a UniFi switch in the office, which is the head of our system.

Here is our switch in the garage. The electrical box to the left contains Ethernet runs from the closet switch and one of those runs goes to the garage switch, because we expanded...

7F685A45-C6C3-44B7-850D-D712E77F505B.jpeg

B31F05E2-2DF9-42AD-A001-5816FA5486D5.jpeg