Poe Switch And Blue Iris Pc Location

Candyman

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I would be very thankful if I could get some tips for a blue iris installation, I cannot find a diagram how the poe switch, router, and blue iris pc are connected.

I am wondering where is the best location for my blue iris pc and poe switch. I am under the assumption that the poe switch and blue iris pc can be far away from each other, they just have to be connected via ethernet.

So I was thinking of putting the poe switch in the backoffice for convenience because most of the cameras will be in the back and to put the blue iris pc by the cash register to facilitate connecting a camera monitor.

Ideally I would love for both the blue iris pc and poe switch to be in the back office, with a a monitor by the cash register and the back office as well. Is there any way I could do that?

I undestand there are both graphics cards and hdmi cable length limits.

My system is an Optiplex 7040 Mini Tower i7-6700 8gb ram

I am installing 16 starlight 2mp cameras.
Your help will be greatly appreciated, I looked at the wiki and could not find answers to my foolish questions

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They can each go anywhere within Ethernet's reach. In a simple network with a modem/router/4 port switch from the ISP, you just need one cable from the router to the POE switch. The BI PC can be connected either to the router or to the POE switch. Without network segmentation its all the same.

I would be reluctant to put the BI computer by the register for fear of employee tampering, theft, or damage. If you need to just monitor the cameras from there, you could run another video cable (they make extenders to get beyond the normal HDMI limits) or use a network connected PC or tablet up there to access the BI PC which I'd rather see in a locked box in the back.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Basic connections scheme is router > PoE switch > cameras and PC. Alternately, like Mr_D says, the PC can also be connected directly to the router, same difference either way.

Keep the PC in the back office and use a tablet, WiFi connected, at the register. The UI3 web interface that's included with BI is great, lets you watch all the cameras/alerts/clips and keeps a live keyboard away from, potentially, prying/curious/malicious hands.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's not advised to run the camera network traffic through the router, so the BI PC should be connected to the switch.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's not advised to run the camera network traffic through the router, so the BI PC should be connected to the switch.
Connecting it to a switch port on the router doesn't really involve routing. Assuming everything is gigabit, there's plenty of bandwidth.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Connecting it to a switch port on the router doesn't really involve routing. Assuming everything is gigabit, there's plenty of bandwidth.
Hi Mr_D,

It's not really a question of bandwidth, but of resource utilization on the routers.

A lot of routers are lower powered systems which can already have plenty of processing they need to be doing, firewall rules, VPN encrypt/decrypt, WiFi,... so it works far better to off load the camera traffic to a separate device to keep the CPU / processing power of the router allocated to the other primary tasks which the router is assigned to do.

Dazcomputers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The tablet is the way to go. The UI3 is really amazing when you really look at all the tools that come with it. Try it out with a tablet and see how it works, but speaking from experience the Web interface on anything works great for monitoring on WIFI.