POE Switch location advice/opinions

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I like monoprice for a lot of wiring supplies, however after reading some of the negative user comments in their patch panel section I elected to spend a little bit more and go with a TrendNet panel. ( looks like there maybe a quality control issue with a supplier of the panels for monoprice )

example:
TRENDnet 24-Port Cat6 Unshielded Wallmount or Rackmount Patch Panel, Compatible with Cat 3/4/5/5e/6 Cabling, TC-P24C6
4.5 out of 5 stars 384 customer reviews | 63 answered questions
Price: $39.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members & FREE Shipping. Details
https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Unshielded-Wallmount-Compatible-TC-P24C6/dp/B0000AZK72/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1505978906&sr=8-6&keywords=patch+panel+cat6

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My router /wifi are in my second floor office next to modem. A few things connected there (computer, NAS and NVR) then I've got a line going up to attic, then down a conduit to the basement and I've got a switch there. I have an unfinished basement so it was super easy to hardwire stuff on the first floor. Then I've got 2 lines from that basement switch outside. One goes to a huge shed with gravel floor and that has a man door that never closes. Cheap poe switch there running 2 cameras and a wireless AP. yes, I'm wondering if that's gonna die eventually from basically being "outside" and the other line goes to a switch in my barn for another AP and couple more cameras.

My only consideration was ease of access for me to get at and run cables to and from.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I Wil say I did get an old 48port POE+ switch from CL and stuck it in the basement. I could almost hear it on the second floor because of the fans. Sold that and got fan less.