POE switch or camera problem?

kris1953

n3wb
Reaction score
Just installed two IP cameras and they worked for a few days but now both don't seem to power on and I can't see them on the network...

Trying to figure out if it's a switch problem... the POE ports work for networking when I use a non-poe device... does that necessarily mean it's not a switch problem? Or can the power in a switch fail while networking still works? Seems odd that both cameras simultaneously failed...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just installed two IP cameras and they worked for a few days but now both don't seem to power on and I can't see them on the network...

Trying to figure out if it's a switch problem... the POE ports work for networking when I use a non-poe device... does that necessarily mean it's not a switch problem? Or can the power in a switch fail while networking still works? Seems odd that both cameras simultaneously failed...
How have you determined that the cameras dont power on?
What cameras? What switch?

kris1953

n3wb
Reaction score
They're LTS turret cameras, and I have a monoprice POE switch. I assume no power because the IR illuminators don't come on at night and the ports on the switch aren't lighting up. But like I said, the ports work for networking with a laptop or other non POE device.

I ordered a POE tester so that should get to the bottom of it, but I was just wondering in the meantime if it's even possible for a switch to stop delivering power but still work for networking. Kind of wishful thinking... Seems more likely to be a camera issue to me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
They're LTS turret cameras, and I have a monoprice POE switch. I assume no power because the IR illuminators don't come on at night and the ports on the switch aren't lighting up. But like I said, the ports work for networking with a laptop or other non POE device.

I ordered a POE tester so that should get to the bottom of it, but I was just wondering in the meantime if it's even possible for a switch to stop delivering power but still work for networking. Kind of wishful thinking... Seems more likely to be a camera issue to me.
It is possible. I dont know about the reliability of a mono price switch. I would buy another switch and test.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I hate to ask the obvious, but are you powering the switch? Is 48V / 110V / 220V being fed in somewhere?

kris1953

n3wb
Reaction score
Hah, I wish it were the obvious. The switch is powered (plugged in to an outlet) and it worked for a few days before I ended up with the problem.

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It seems unlikely that 2 cameras would just stop working. You said the cameras are installed, so probably long cables. Have you tried connecting one or both cameras to the PoE switch with a short cable? If you have a power supply that will work on the cameras, try it to make sure the cameras are working.

I'm not 100% sure how your switch is powered internally. But often the switch itself runs off of 12v internally. So the PoE power and the switch power may be independent.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Read manual for switch carefully. Try cameras 1 at a time and with short cables. Could be some internal fuse or something. Try unplugging the switch for an hour and then plugging it back in.

kris1953

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, all - it's definitely looking like a switch problem. I can only pull a voltage reading from one port and that's only if I have the tester's cable plugged in juuuust right. Really strange considering it's a brand new switch that's only really been in use for a few days. Have a new switch coming in at the end of the week to confirm!

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just guessing here, but your switch may not be pushing enough power to the camera.
This link might be helpful, particularly the part following the title "So, if PoE technology is a great thing, why haven;t more dealers shifted from Analog to IP?"

http://www.moogs3.com/literature/MoogS3/Press_Room/White_Paper/UltraHighPoE_Whitepaper.pdf
OP has LTS/hikvision turrets...they are drawing 7w or less.
That article is a bunch of garbage written by a dealer/manufactuer who wants to push analog.
Almost EVERY other line in that article is an outright LIE. Here are some examples.
Lie #1
"While the basic IP cameradraws less than 6 watts at peak operation, the chart shows that over 2/3rds of the most popular cameras fall welloutside this spectrum."
The writer purposely selects cameras that are high power consumption like PTZ's and then states "2/3rds of the most popular cameras fall well outside this spectrum". Most fixed IP cameras draw 3-7w, with IR. There are MANY more fixed installed cameras than PTZ.
LIE 2.
"In 2003, The Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers (IEEE) published a standard called the IEEE 802.3afstandard. Switches and mid-spans which meet this standard provide 15 watts of power to the network. After lineloss and in ideal conditions, this guarantees only 12 watts will reach the IP camera."
NOT TRUE, 15.4 watts will reach the camera. Its actually 12.95w according to the spec and you would need a VERY LONG run in excess of 200+ feet to lose that 2.45 watts, if that. Its a spec, I would venture that most poe switches can deliver the full 15.4 even on a 328f line with good cable.
LIE #3,
The writer speculates that cameras will become more power hungry because of higher res and compression. He fails to note that processors become faster and MORE efficient. Furthermore, my 3mp dahua/hikvision cameras require no more power than their 1.3mp counterparts. The notion is nonsense.
LIE #4
"This is even worse considering network cameras operate like remotely positioned computers - meaning they donot automatically reboot and reconfigure when power is restored. "
This is the worst one of all. Anyone who has used an ip camera knows that they automatically reboot and reconfigure (well actually they never lose their configuration) when power is restored. A dealer would never have to return to the site. Wow. The nerve of this lie is insane. On the basis of this alone, this article has been proven illegitimate.
Its really simply, the manufacture has an agenda and is pushing it with this misleading "white paper".

There are several reasons why unscrupulous dealers lie about IP.
1) Analog or HD over analog is cheaper, so they can charge the same for the install and make more money.
2) They dont have the expertise to properly setup an IP system.
IP is superior to analog in every why except long distance transmissions which is a non issue for homes and 99.9 percent of business.
Its 2016, anyone installing a coax run without HONESTLY explaining the difference to the client is a fraud.

x002657

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the info; it will be helpful to me, too.
I'm new to the world of IP cams and home security, had recently read that article while researching possibilities for my own home, and thought it might be helpful to the OP. Bottom line: I was just trying to help.
I sense anger in your post. I didn't mean to be the cause of it; apologies if I was. I'll stick to my shopping and research, and avoid offering info on something I apparently know too little about.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info; it will be helpful to me, too.
I'm new to the world of IP cams and home security, had recently read that article while researching possibilities for my own home, and thought it might be helpful to the OP. Bottom line: I was just trying to help.
I sense anger in your post. I didn't mean to be the cause of it; apologies if I was. I'll stick to my shopping and research, and avoid offering info on something I apparently know too little about.
There is no anger towards you. There is anger towards the writer of that article. He is a fraud with malicious intent. Bringing such articles and misleading information to light is important.
As you can see, you were misled and likely thousands of others who read the hit piece. The point of the forum is to educate folks like yourself so that you dont waste your hard earned money of garbage cameras/systems. You have worked to hard for it.