PoE switch *powered* by PoE — does such a thing exist?

polydactic

n3wb
Reaction score
This isn't a BI question per se, but that's what I use for all three of my cams (power use lol) — hopefully soon to be four — and couldn't think of anywhere else to ask this. So — I have a hardware/power issue.

The short of it is: Two of the three cameras (and if possible, three or four of four) are mounted in the front of the house/porch area, where the is no AC access. I have to run the ethernet cable from the basement along the outside of the house where the A/C is. For various reasons, I'm limited to one cable. So, I have the switch, injectors (no PoE router/switch, just a regular ubiquitous blue metal 4-port Netgear) in the basement, and pair of passive PoE splitters. This gets me two cams fine.

Is there any solution for more?

What I'm looking for/hope exists is a PoE-powered PoE switch that draws power from the switch in the basement. Does such a thing exist? If so, the passive splitters go, and now I have the ability add [x] (4-6, presumably) cams up front (there's a lot of street action around here, and not of the good kind) with short runs from this mythical switch. I also assume (know) that the Netgear (and individual injectors) would have to be replaced with an actual PoE switch — with one port that carries a significant bit of juice.

Is this possible? I've searched Amazon using the phrase PoE "power sourced" switch and get nada. Also, if possible, a general outlay of what such a switch will cost (and recommendations, if allowed by forum rules for a proper PoE router) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
PD (Chris)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Look for a "PoE Extender" on Amazon. I can't give any recommendations on any of them that come up so good luck and you can always return it. Keep in mind that the total power is still limited to the limit of the original switch that supplies the power.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

spuls

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

polydactic

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks y'all... I think you solved my problem for $130:
PoECart.jpg

Let me know if i'm missing something. Thanks again – Chris

polydactic

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, looks like my haste not waiting until the morning for your response cost me $10, plus shipping; it's on B&H and I just placed an order with them using that Payboo card which wipes the taxes too. Oh well. $10 to learn two lessons: Patience, and don't post a question you're not going to wait for the answer for. So patience, basically.

After that last B&H order, Amazon finally broke me (10 hours of chat and talking to CS in 2021) so at least I got to stick to my new "by directly from the manufacturer or small/local reseller" self-edict. Thanks for the heads-up anyways though T-Head! (The puns just happen).

Now I just need a new server to run BI (current used Xeon bought with little "best practices" knowledge is dying and never felt like a good match anyways); I seem to see a consistent "i7-based" theme so the hunt begins.