POE Switch Recommendation/Question

erick85

n3wb
Reaction score
I posted a few weeks back about a computer recommendation. While the specific one I posted about went higher on eBay than I was willing to go, I did finally get an HP Elitedesk 800 G2 SFF i7-6700, with 8GB RAM, a 256GB SSD and Windows 10 Pro. Just need to get a WD Purple and a second NIC and I should be set there.

I’ve been reading, trying to educate myself on POE switches. I’m looking at a managed switch more for future learning and use. I know EOL units come highly recommended and have found quite a few on eBay. I did find a Zyxel GS 1900-24HP that I can get for $115 shipped. This is a little more expensive than some of the Cisco, HP and Netgear options I’m seeing on eBay. Are there any reasons to go with the Zyxel route at this price compared to the others I mentioned?

Thanks

Erick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erick85

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. Right now, I’m leaning towards the managed route to give me the option to learn in the future, but don’t want to try to tackle a vlan just yet, thus the idea for a second NIC.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i like the HP ones.. but i find that have to go higher end to get the good ones..
the lower end ones are noisy and sounds like a jet 24/7..

jedi170

n3wb
Reaction score
I do not have any affiliation with this company other than purchasing from them but (cables and kits) has a return and warranty policy that has been fantastic. I use the Catalyst 3750G 24 port POE for most Camera installations.

nickh66

n3wb
Reaction score
I posted a few weeks back about a computer recommendation. While the specific one I posted about went higher on eBay than I was willing to go, I did finally get an HP Elitedesk 800 G2 SFF i7-6700, with 8GB RAM, a 256GB SSD and Windows 10 Pro. Just need to get a WD Purple and a second NIC and I should be set there.

I’ve been reading, trying to educate myself on POE switches. I’m looking at a managed switch more for future learning and use. I know EOL units come highly recommended and have found quite a few on eBay. I did find a Zyxel GS 1900-24HP that I can get for $115 shipped. This is a little more expensive than some of the Cisco, HP and Netgear options I’m seeing on eBay. Are there any reasons to go with the Zyxel route at this price compared to the others I mentioned?

Thanks

Erick

Hi Erick,
Apart from a preferred switch vendor or one that already fits with your existing config, make sure you look for the max power that the switch can handle. This is a POE (802.11af) v POE+ (802.11at) discussion. You should confirm that the combined power draw of all cameras don't exceed that of the max power rating of the switch. This may help PoE vs. PoE+: What's the Difference?
POE+ support is the way to go for sure.
Cheers
Nick

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I see the 3750g 24ps 24 port Poe is fully managed. Can you use that as a plug and play without having to manage ports? I see some on the ebay for under $100

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I prefer using multiple smaller switches spread out around the house, all routed to a simple dumb switch. This shortens ethernet cable runs. Also a single POE switch failure does not kill all the cameras.

This is an old post but worth looking at

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
but I recently discovered....that only 1/2 the ports are POE on the sg200-26P. 1-6 and 13-18 or the left hand side. so it'd be good for 12 IP cams in the 802.3af version. and 100 watts are available to those 12 ports, @ about 8.33 watts averaged if all 12 are in use. i think 802.3af is 15 watt max, and 802.3at is 30 watts max to a port. So no PTZ on this switch, and you maybe have to limit your camera count based on the total wattage they need to run right.