PoE Switch Suggestion List

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by giomania, Oct 16, 2017.

Share This Page

1. tibimakai

tibimakai Getting the hang of it

You never know, the force is strong. ;)

2. dalepa

dalepa Moderator

Cameraguy likes this.
  3. TL1096r

TL1096r Pulling my weight

You are correct for right now doing a camera setup from https://store.ipcamtalk.com/ but in the future I might be looking at that water jug model that you can PTZ.

4. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Two of them?
    I promise you that will never happen but you're whatever makes you feel better.

TL1096r likes this.
  5. TL1096r

No just 1 large PTZ. In future: 6 camera (IPCT) + 1 PTZ (SD49225T-HN) works with the $80 switch linked?

6. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Yes.

TL1096r likes this.
  7. Defcon

Defcon Getting the hang of it

Testing a D-Link 8-Port POE+ DGS-1008MP. (Fanless) 140W.

Overkill but so far this past two weeks it’s been flawless.

Cost me £75 here in the UK

CCTVCam likes this.
  8. awsum140

awsum140 Known around here

I have a BV Tech, 16 port, PoE switch and I've been happy with it until today. It's currently powering ten cameras with no problems, just, what I call, slightly warm to the touch. I was moving power connections around this morning and found its weak point. It will not power up with a ten camera load. When I powered it back up, not even the power LED came on and I immediately thought "DOA". I unplugged everything and opened the case. There is a fuse in there, soldered in place, so I thought I bridge it to see if that was the problem. There were no signs of any component failures with a visual inspection, so I figured what the heck. Anyhow, when I plugged it back in, with nothing else plugged in to it, it powered right back up. So, if you have a BV Tech switch and lose power, expect to have to unplug everything, AC included, wait a few minutes, power it back up then plug in the cameras. A little disappointing. Hope this saves someone else some angst when power drops.

9. handinpalm

handinpalm Pulling my weight

Awsum, it must be the initial "inrush current" of all the cams when powering up, and fold backs your power supply in the switch (temporary over current). It is common power up electronic characteristics. Probably get by with having the majority of cams connected, then plug the rest in. Unfortunately, OEM's cannot spec the inrush current for worse case loads because of the variability of the users load, just steady state current/power.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  10. TL1096r

giomania likes this.
  11. Tibor Makai

Tibor Makai Getting the hang of it

Awsum, do you have the 130W version? That is what I have and at the moment, it works great with 10 cameras, 2 PTZ included(1 big and 1 small). I'm planning to add another small PTZ to it. Got it refurbished, from the bay(bestipsolutions) for $75(now is $85).

12. johnnydough

johnnydough n3wb

Hi. I'm new to IPCams - but have read a lot over the last few weeks and I'm slowing figuring it all out (I have ordered 3 cameras EmpireCandy and have a server pc ready to go). The one thing I can't figure out is the switch.
    I want something that will handle 6-8 cameras. But I'm worried about total power draw.
    We get a lot of power outages where I live, so I was going to use a UPS.

But all the switches I see have wattage ratings above 500w. Is this the norm?

I found this unit - Cisco Catalyst 3750 - 24 ports POE switch but it has an operational consumption of 495watt. I'm going to need a big UPS to power that and the server pc? Or am I missing something?
    Please help - searched everywhere, but I'm so confused on this

13. Walrus

Walrus Pulling my weight

That 495W would be if you had 24 cameras connected, all drawing the full 15W.

johnnydough likes this.
  14. johnnydough

johnnydough n3wb

Thank you!!!
    I'll go with that cisco switch then :D

15. crw030

crw030 Known around here

I believe that switch will be 10/100 on all ports except the SFP and is also end of life, albeit its probably built like a tank. I know when I have tossed around older Cisco switches, the general feedback has been the old switches draw significant power even at idle. So in the future you might want to look at something newer, that might be more efficient at idle, since regardless of which switch you select the camera POE draw will be whatever the cameras need (so that won't change).

I looked that model up and it looks like it will be 55-57 watts at 5%-100% network load with 0% PoE load. I only mention that because depending on your electricity cost, having a base idle consumption of 55w for that one device would cost me like $4 per month before I even connect a camera to it, where something a little newer/smaller might draw 15-30w at idle.

16. johnnydough

johnnydough n3wb

Ok thank you.
    I have so much to learn!
    Would something like this be a better choice then - Dahua 8-Port Fast Ethernet PoE Switch

or D-Link DGS-1100-08P 8-Port Gigabit EasySmart PoE Switch with 8 x PoE (Max 64W)

17. Walrus

Walrus Pulling my weight

Yeah I was going to add, if you are looking at only 6-8 cams in the future, don't bother with an enterprise/business 24 port switch, as @crw030 said, even at idle it'll likely draw lots of power.

18. johnnydough

johnnydough n3wb

19. Mr_D

Mr_D Getting comfortable

Power draw depends on the camera, but my 2MP Dauha Starlights use about 3w during the day and 6w with the IR is on, if I remember correctly.