PoE Switch Suggestion List

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Definitely a great bang for the buck if you don't need a full power budget, but who runs a switch full of PTZs or cams with heaters or extra long distance IR LEDs from home anyway?

It's going to complicate my next NAS purchase though. I hadn't been planning on getting one that supported link aggregation but now I might now that I have a switch that supports it. What the hell, it's only money right?

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
V7 MPEGS24-1N <- switch that is listed in the spreadsheet above is freaking awesome. I have one. For the price of $122 you get 24 ports of full POE+ managed switch. And a web interface that doesn't suck! And is actually very useful especially for a home switch. You can't beat it. The only questions is how long will it last... I had an older but still good HP POE switch that I took out of commission permanently because of this guy. It's actually more power efficient also.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I never actually heard of V7 until I stumbled across this thread. :D

V7 MPEGS24-1N <- switch that is listed in the spreadsheet above is freaking awesome. I have one. For the price of $122 you get 24 ports of full POE+ managed switch. And a web interface that doesn't suck! And is actually very useful especially for a home switch. You can't beat it. The only questions is how long will it last... I had an older but still good HP POE switch that I took out of commission permanently because of this guy. It's actually more power efficient also.

Reaction score
The V7 gear looks to be the best bang for the buck, if it lasts. You have the option of managed or unmanaged switches in the 16 to 24 port range. The difference in price between the 16 port unmanaged and the 24 port managed is only $20. To me, the 24 port is a no brainer.

@jrf - On your V7, can you see the power draw for each device on a per port level in the Management interface?

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Intellinet 561082 PoE-Powered 5-Port Gigabit Switch with PoE Passthrough
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intellinet-561082-PoE-Powered-5-Port-Gigabit-Switch-with-PoE-Passthrough/50283152

I have 2 of those running off a V7 POE+ switch and they have been working great.

EDIT: These will run off of a POE+ OR POE switch. If powering off POE you have less power available (obviously) 24 watts available with POE+ 30w input.

It also can be powered with it's own included power supply (68watt total output with this)
Added this switch and some info from your experience with the V7 24-port switch. Thanks for sharing!

Mark

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
@jrf Please post a video review of the V7 24-port, I'm curious to know how it sounds and functions :D

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@jrf Please post a video review of the V7 24-port, I'm curious to know how it sounds and functions :D
What do you want to see? Just the fan noise or the interface?

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks jrf, I'd like to see both, though I am more curious about fan noise. I get the feeling that most 24-port switches are suitable for commercial back office data centers (on server racks in well-ventilated areas) rather than residential, small business, offices. :)

Edit: also, it's good to see competition, most of the market is dominated by brands we've all heard of, Cisco, Ubiquiti, Netgear, as well as other brands I myself am not all that familiar with but are well-known in large corporate environments. I can't find any video reviews of that V7 switch. If you are able to promote it here, it results in giving us more choices (which is actually a good thing).

Last edited:
Reaction score
@giomania
Is there a PoE switch which doesn't rely on a power supply and can simply be powered off another PoE switch, provided sufficient wattage is available? Would probably serve as a great fail-safe measure if included power supply ever looses function.
There are a couple out there for sure. I've seen the Mikrotik 960's do it with 802.3at and the D-Link DGS-1100-05PD does it. Big heads up, though, double check your power budget on these. Some of these consume a lot of power just by themselves leading to a limited power budget going out to the devices.

Reaction score
Thanks jrf, I'd like to see both, though I am more curious about fan noise. I get the feeling that most 24-port switches are suitable for commercial back office data centers (on server racks in well-ventilated areas) rather than residential, small business, offices. :)

Edit: also, it's good to see competition, most of the market is dominated by brands we've all heard of, Cisco, Ubiquiti, Netgear, as well as other brands I myself am not all that familiar with but are well-known in large corporate environments. I can't find any video reviews of that V7 switch. If you are able to promote it here, it results in giving us more choices (which is actually a good thing).
I'm curious about the fan noise as well. My company sells injectors to a lot of customers who are looking for quieter solutions, so I'd be interested to find out what are some quieter PoE switches.

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@giomania @Arjun hello friends!!

any thoughts on a switch to run Blue Iris with about 20 cameras or so?

A switch with more ports would be fine too..I prefer to have at least 24 ports or more

I heard Cisco is the way to go, but that may be too expensive? Any alternatives?

Thank you

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
@theoxonian may want to refer to the 24-port V7 switch that @jrf introduced :)

@giomania @Arjun hello friends!!

any thoughts on a switch to run Blue Iris with about 20 cameras or so?

A switch with more ports would be fine too..I prefer to have at least 24 ports or more

I heard Cisco is the way to go, but that may be too expensive? Any alternatives?

Thank you

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, is there a PoE switch (extender) that is powered fully by PoE, but also contains an AC adapter (which can be plugged into a nearby outlet) that acts as a fail-safe in case that part of the network goes down? The D Link doesn't come with an AC adapter, nor does it support it.

In essence, is there a switch that can powered by both AC Adapter (connected to AC port) and PoE connected to uplink?

Seems like the Intellinet 561082, netis PE6105, both come with an AC Adapter, but can be powered by another PoE+ switch as an alternative; but I'm not sure if it can be powered by both at the same time.

This PoE Switch would be within close proximity to the NVR and act as the bridge between the main switch and the NVR. Thus, a few key cameras (especially in chokepoint areas) would be connected to this switch.

@Tyler Andrews does this switch support that feature?

Last edited:

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also, is there a PoE switch (extender) that is powered fully by PoE, but also contains an AC adapter (which can be plugged into a nearby outlet) that acts as a fail-safe in case that part of the network goes down? The D Link doesn't come with an AC adapter, nor does it support it.

In essence, is there a switch that can powered by both AC Adapter (connected to AC port) and PoE connected to uplink?

This PoE Switch would be within close proximity to the NVR and act as the bridge between the main switch and the NVR. Thus, a few key cameras (especially in chokepoint areas) would be connected to this switch.
There is a switch a posted a few posts back the "Intellinet" it can do BOTH as in be powered off the uplink port FROM a Poe switch and also provided POE power. It also has the option to add an AC adapter to power it from a wall outlet. However I'm not sure what you are looking for because if the main switch powering it goes down. Even if a remote switch has power are you just hoping to continue recording to SD card? Because you won't have any traffic flowing back to a NVR or such. At that point just put a UPS on the main switch.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I just feel that redundancy in any setup matters :) Suppose the electrical outlet goes bad switch would fall over to PoE uplink port as backup for source of power; if PoE uplink port fails for whatever reason, switch would still be powered by included AC adapter. Now this is from a power perspective and would still be able to continue feeding video transmission into network through an alternate port (good if its multi-port switch).

From a data transmission perspective, I'd have this switch connected to another switch (which doesn't have to be a PoE) to continue feeding video into the network without any IP clash.

It can sound twisted and jumbled, but I wouldn't want to try if this could potentially damage the circuitry in the cameras. I hear PoE is a fairly sensitive thing especially if not handled responsibly, lol :D

There is a switch a posted a few posts back the "Intellinet" it can do BOTH as in be powered off the uplink port FROM a Poe switch and also provided POE power. It also has the option to add an AC adapter to power it from a wall outlet. However I'm not sure what you are looking for because if the main switch powering it goes down. Even if a remote switch has power are you just hoping to continue recording to SD card? Because you won't have any traffic flowing back to a NVR or such. At that point just put a UPS on the main switch.

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@theoxonian may want to refer to the 24-port V7 switch that @jrf introduced :)
Just ordered #2. Apparently I have WAY too many wired devices in my lan and adding all these cameras isn't helping. I know I'm slacking on the video for the switch. I'm working on it.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Since you just ordered #2, now I'm even more curious and interested in the sound, lol ;)

Just ordered #2. Apparently I have WAY too many wired devices in my lan and adding all these cameras isn't helping. I know I'm slacking on the video for the switch. I'm working on it.

Reaction score

Seems like the Intellinet 561082, netis PE6105, both come with an AC Adapter, but can be powered by another PoE+ switch as an alternative; but I'm not sure if it can be powered by both at the same time.

@Tyler Andrews does this switch support that feature?

I personally haven't used this particular switch (a customer was showing it to me the other day which is why I recalled it), so I wouldn't want to say 100% it will. But I'm 99% certain it will for two reasons: 1) it has a DC barrel port and 2) based on my experience with other RouterBoard products. I'll check with a guy I know who uses a lot of these.

However, I can say 100% our passive PoE switch will do 30 watts through the uplink port and have a back-up power supply through the DC barrel port. Full disclosure, this switch is sold by my company and it is Passive, so it doesn't do auto negotiation for the PoE power. Having said that, the other pros are that it's fanless and energy efficient. WS-GPOES-8-7

I also ran across a different Extender Hub that isn't backed up with DC power, but I'm interested to see if anyone has used one of these extenders successfully: http://amzn.to/2jaGy6U (Again, full disclosure, in case you don't recognize the URL type, this is an Amazon Affiliate link, however I'm genuinely interested to see if anyone has used and liked one of these extenders to see if I should recommend this to customers looking for this kind of thing).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.