PoE Switch Suggestion List

Kimco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you're really pushing the power limits over that total distance.
Speaking of distance.
Can I run a PoE line from the house (which has PoE switch) to my outbuildings, plug into PoE device and plug devices in the outbuildings to that PoE?
Not just can I, but is that good practice? :D

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
My reply to you was this isn’t just about power but also data integrity.
I seriously don't understand how data integrity became an issue when all I did was compare power loss over different wires. How does running the math on DC power loss have anything to do with the data?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I seriously don't understand how data integrity became an issue when all I did was compare power loss over different wires. How does running the math on DC power loss have anything to do with the data?
What part don't you understand?? If this was solely about powering a light bulb the conversation would be moot. Given the conversation Isn't just about power but a video security camera.

That directly relates to data, no data, no video . . .

Are you saying the two aren't directly linked together as it relates to a IP camera??? :facepalm:

Start of Rant:

In case you're unaware its extremely common for a so called IP camera to be powered via low voltage (12 / 24 / 36 VDC) wiring instead of POE. The reasons for doing so exists for many reason(s) and that primarily relates to outputting reliable power so the hardware will operate correctly. Even though IP cameras offer a large (typical 15-25% +/-) operating voltage it doesn't mean you should be running at the edge of the same.

Those that do are the one's who always see blown switch ports . . .

These are the same people who have a managed switch would see endless TX/RX errors and dropped packets.

Thousands of people all around the world didn't come together on a random Saturday night to design and spec a Ethernet standard (328' / 100 meters) just for shits and giggles. It was thought of, considered, and peer reviewed by thousands of people to help iterate and push the industry to do better and offer the same to Joe Public.

My previous statements were to high light to everyone who reads this thread is that there are other factors at play. These other factors must be considered because if they don't this is exactly why the following bull shit technologies exist:

Think: ePOE, CCA cable . . .

Millions of people all around the world continue to sell and buy Copper Clad Aluminum Ethernet cable??

Why???

Because the vast majority of buyers have no clue. The one's that have half a clue still buy CCA cable because they are still too stupid and cheap. People use ePOE because these are the same clowns that believe its OK to string along 1000 feet of ethernet cable?!? :facepalm: :banghead:

The most comical reply I read and hear from these less than bright people is Hey 10/100 is perfectly fine??? :lol:

If people have already bought ultra flat man-bear-pig 32 AWG Ethernet cable that's a hue of Murple for POE - WTF is wrong with that??? Everything I just stated happens now, will happen later, and will continue to happen because people are not educated enough to first ask questions. What is worse is when I see so called professionals in the network field doing everything I just called out??

Why???

Because these people are simply too stupid to live . . .

My comments here have nothing to do with you or what information you provided. I simply replied to your comments that everyone must consider the bigger picture as this is why we are all here. It would be a complete disservice if I or anyone else didn't bring to the table more insight and knowledge to the discussion. If all the OP was doing was trying to power a IR LED with a splitter who cares.

But, that same cable isn't dedicated to just a light bulb its connected to a IP camera which requires a solid connection within the standards outlined by the industry. If people can't even follow the bare minimum the end results will be less than stellar . . .

End of Rant :rofl:

Hope you understand the why's . . . :thumb:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Spending money isn't really an issue lol...I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

I got two of these PFT1300 extenders directly from Andy. They're not outdoor rated but are designed to be installed inside (the waterproof) PFA130-E mount.

I finally stumbled on this Netgear switch with 190W over 8 ports (23.75W), so almost there...

I'm not using shielded cable. But I will invest in surge suppressors, Sebastiantombs already mentioned them too. Fortunately, Vermont is also 47th in the nation in lighting strikes lol..
I was hoping you'd try one of these and let us know the results.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

EvanVanVan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I almost did buy that one but when I saw that Dahua had their own version, I figured I "trust" (maybe) their version to be more compatible with their cameras lol... The fact that the PFT1300 isn't waterproof is unfortunate, but we'll make it work in a junction box.

Actually I just received these 4 options today from Amazon that I'm going to end up returning...https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B085S1R5NX?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

PXL_20220813_151911595.jpg

I'm outside right now installing conduit in the trench!

Last edited:

EvanVanVan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I need to install a PoE switch in a barn. It'll be protected from the elements but naturally not climate controlled or anything. I imagine I should still go for an outdoor rated switch? I don't see too many options. There is a (what looks like) cheap, no-name brand on amazon: and a few significantly more expensive options. Any chance a regular switch and some dielectric grease would be sufficient?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You could get away with a regular switch,,,,I have one out in a remote 4 stall garage,,,it's an off the shelf 4 port POE, its powering 2 cams
something i got from Microcenter for like $37 bucks Probably Trendnet brand or something...so far has survived 100F and -20F

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I need to install a PoE switch in a barn. It'll be protected from the elements but naturally not climate controlled or anything. I imagine I should still go for an outdoor rated switch? I don't see too many options. There is a (what looks like) cheap, no-name brand on amazon: and a few significantly more expensive options. Any chance a regular switch and some dielectric grease would be sufficient?
I work at a security company and I stick regular ones in a plain 8"x8" and 10" x 10" weather proof junction box all the time. Never had issues associated with them being in the enclosure.

One on my employer's customer is a guy that owns a bunch of storage places around town (5 of them). Each site has 10-15 buildings, each one has a 12x10 outdoor junction box with an outlet mounted inside of them and I install a switch and a Ubiquity nanobeam 5AC
to uplink to the NVRs across town to a Rocket Prism with an omni antenna. Some places, the owner ran conduit between 3 to 4 buildings underground that I ran gel filled direct burial wire then to an antenna. His stuff been running like that for years w/o issues even in winter.

Reaction score
Have been planning to use a Raspberry Pi out in the garage, and received the POE hat for it last week. Quickly discovered the reliable old POE switch in the garage would not power up a POE+ device like the Pi hat. :( Oh well, the old POE switch has served good duty for many years, and had a few failed ports, anyway.

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Need a second PoE switch for my cameras, prompted by the realization that on the network I need to separate cameras and BI PC with a second NIC on the BI PC. The existing switch will continue to operate non-camera PoE devices.
What differentiates, say, a Zyxel swith from an IPcampower (Nelly’s) switch, besides the price?
Zyxel has been spoken well of in this forum. Their current offering, “… GS1350 Series smart managed switches boasting specialized hardware and software features dedicated to surveillance deployments and applications.” Why, it even sports, “… With a brand-new titanium grey exterior purpose-built for the surveillance sector.” It also appears to be around $500 for a 24-port model.
IPcampower (Nelly's) comparable ports version is approximately one-third of that price.
What’s a good 16-24 PoE port switch to get these days, preferably without a fan?
So many possibilities, would appreciate input, and found my way to this thread.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Bought the below switch from Andy last year. It has two fans that are quiet. Zero issues with the switch. Check with Andy for current price and availability.

Dahua Network 24 Port POE Switch
PFS-3226-24ET-240
PN 1.0.01.20.10598-0009
240 watt POE unmanaged switch
2 uplink ports 1 Gig
Cost $230

Attachments

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had shortlisted that unit, reached out to Andy for a price, and he said he does not have any in stock.
It's $370 at B&H, which seems high.
Good to hear fans are quiet. Thanks.

Edit/correction: The model number of the unit I had found "LR2226-24ET-360" is similar but slightly different.
It may just be from a different point in time.

Attachments

Last edited:

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You would be paying for a 360 watt full load version vs 240 watt box.

The unit was also not in stock, but Andy did manage to get one shipped. Perhaps he can back order one if there is not an immediate need.

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They modified two ports to go up to 60 watts each, and increased the power supply.
I'll check with Andy.

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The IP cam power POE switches work well. They are also sold here in the IP cam talk store.
Thanks - I had found my way to them because of mentions here. Comparable units from ipcampower are roughly half the price of Dahua ones.

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What amount of power does a PoE port need to be able to supply, to connect a camera with a 500-foot ethernet cable run? Actual run may be 450-500 feet, just planning for some margin because actual cable footage adds up by the time an install is in place.
Cable to be pulled in existing in-ground conduit, so cable can be whatever it needs to be.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need another POE switch in between and maybe two. Best case is 328 feet under perfect conditions.

Or run fiber.