POE Switch Suitability?

Cammick

n3wb
Reaction score
Ordered this used after reading many threads here: HPE Aruba 2620-24-PoE+ 24 Port Gigabit Ethernet Managed Network Switch J9625A

Should be here in about a week. Was wanting progress and was in a "just go for it" mode. Now hoping I wasn't too hasty.

Is this suitable for a Blue Iris system? Is there potential to expand later to handle other "household" switched needs? Could this be done by creating a separate VLAN on some of the ports?

Have likely already shown here that I'm pretty much "network-illiterate", but trying to change that as I study an hour or two per day. Guessing I'll be relying on some help here to do the minimal configuration on it for secure and reliable operation.

Pros? Cons? Any advice or observations appreciated. Trying to learn.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ordered this used after reading many threads here: HPE Aruba 2620-24-PoE+ 24 Port Gigabit Ethernet Managed Network Switch J9625A

Should be here in about a week. Was wanting progress and was in a "just go for it" mode. Now hoping I wasn't too hasty.

Is this suitable for a Blue Iris system? Is there potential to expand later to handle other "household" switched needs? Could this be done by creating a separate VLAN on some of the ports?

Have likely already shown here that I'm pretty much "network-illiterate", but trying to change that as I study an hour or two per day. Guessing I'll be relying on some help here to do the minimal configuration on it for secure and reliable operation.

You may be better off putting your thread on the network forum. JMHO.

Brendon06

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Short answer is Yes van's will work to be able to use for "other network uses" (they might take a bit to get your head around if you are new to networking but once learned it is relatively easy)
Pros.
only 1 device +router to configure for network switching, vlans and poe
cons.
if you have multiple cameras in say an outbuilding you will need to run multiple cat 5/6 cables to the building - 1 for each camera/device (or get another switch/injectors or poe switch)
you will also need a dhcp server that is also vlan capable (most routers will do this now but some dont)

although I use a different array of switches i do exactly what you are wanting with different van's for different things for example i have one for Cameras/security (firewall blocking access to wan and most of the lan), another for everyday devices like my pc, laptop and mobile phones and another vlan for guest wifi

3 things you want to read up on are vlans, openvpn and firewalls in regards to setup and security
there is generally plenty of information on the web in regards to setting up particular devices if you get stuck this forum is brilliant as observant1 said above you may be best using the Networking thread

if you are new to cameras check out the wiki on this site IP Cam Talk Wiki especially the cliff notes

Cammick

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks much for both answers. Big advantage to spending my limited study time guided toward specific applicable topics pointed out here. I'll post more specific questions to networking forum as suggested. Guess I'll need to design my system, draw it, then ask for critique/advice from there.