POE switch

Skyler

n3wb
Reaction score
Would love to be enlightened about power over internet! Is it possible to use a spare router as a POE switch? I want to set up a second outdoor camera and instead of buying another single poe switch and plugging it into my modem/router I thought I could plug the two Cat 6 cables(from the cameras) into a spare router I’m not using. Im wondering do I need poe switches at all? Can I plug the cameras directly into the modem/router?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would love to be enlightened about power over internet! Is it possible to use a spare router as a POE switch? I want to set up a second outdoor camera and instead of buying another single poe switch and plugging it into my modem/router I thought I could plug the two Cat 6 cables(from the cameras) into a spare router I’m not using. Im wondering do I need poe switches at all? Can I plug the cameras directly into the modem/router?
Hi Skyler,

Normal switches and routers do not provide power, so you will need some sort of PSE - power sourcing equipment. A PoE switch is one example of a PSE, you can also use a PoE Injectors, AC power adapter,..

Skyler

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I have an extra Apple router not being used - it has 4 ports (same as the single port poe injector I’m already using for the Hikvision cam). Can I plug the two camera ethernet cables into that router as if it was a poe and connect that to the house modem/router which is connected to electricity?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I have an extra Apple router not being used - it has 4 ports (same as the single port poe injector I’m already using for the Hikvision cam). Can I plug the two camera ethernet cables into that router as if it was a poe and connect that to the house modem/router which is connected to electricity?
No...read his response again ..sell your Apple router and buy a poe switch..it's $40

Skyler

n3wb
Reaction score
No...read his response again ..sell your Apple router and buy a poe switch..it's $40
Can you plug the cameras directly into the router/modem (obviously it has AC) and avoid a poe altogether? I don’t have a need yet for a recording device.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you plug the cameras directly into the router/modem (obviously it has AC) and avoid a poe altogether? I don’t have a need yet for a recording device.
some routers will choke with all the cameras connected to it..sell the router buy a switch.

Last edited:

Skyler

n3wb
Reaction score
You can turn a router into a switch by disabling dhcp within the router. Like they said you'll still need to use a power supply for each cam. POE switches are pretty affordable though, I wouldnt go the route your thinking personally.
Hi - if I disable that element you suggested, can I plug the two cameras into that disused router and use it as a poe switch? It has AC which is required to power the cameras and it has sockets to accommodate four RJ 45 sockets? The single poe I have for the existing camera is a basic low cost piece of unsophisticated equipment. Am I missing something or is there some other element in that poe that is missing from a router. I am just trying to put to other use a good piece of equipment to avoid buying something else?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
PoE switches have all kinds of power conversion circuitry and wiring to deliver the correct type and amount of power on the correct pins of the ethernet jack (a.k.a. RJ45 jack). Normal routers and switches do not have this capability.

The only way you don't need a PoE switch is if you give every camera power through its DC barrel connector. Most cameras require 12 volts if powered this way, and consume about 6 watts, give or take. That means a 12 volt power supply that is rated for at least 0.5 amps.

What you'll find is that PoE switches cost about the same as a bunch of individual power supplies, making PoE switches the obvious choice.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi - if I disable that element you suggested, can I plug the two cameras into that disused router and use it as a poe switch? It has AC which is required to power the cameras and it has sockets to accommodate four RJ 45 sockets? The single poe I have for the existing camera is a basic low cost piece of unsophisticated equipment. Am I missing something or is there some other element in that poe that is missing from a router. I am just trying to put to other use a good piece of equipment to avoid buying something else?
Hi Skyler,

You're welcome to try and let us know how that works out.

OR accept what a number of us have been telling you up to this point.

A NORMAL switch / hub / router does NOT provide the power a PoE device needs.

You need to buy a PSE device.

Reactions: RJF

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Would love to be enlightened about power over internet! Is it possible to use a spare router as a POE switch?
Well if you won’t listen to fenderman and bp please google what a Poe is you might learn something if not stick your hik into the apple and ask why there not working now
these guys love answering people who will listen and go off and try stuff but get annoyed with those that don’t listen you were told it would not work but asked a few times can I plug into a router
Then when you have a problem later on most will ignore you then for not listen my advice
Research research still not sure ask a question research the answer

Skyler

n3wb
Reaction score
PoE switches have all kinds of power conversion circuitry and wiring to deliver the correct type and amount of power on the correct pins of the ethernet jack (a.k.a. RJ45 jack). Normal routers and switches do not have this capability.

The only way you don't need a PoE switch is if you give every camera power through its DC barrel connector. Most cameras require 12 volts if powered this way, and consume about 6 watts, give or take. That means a 12 volt power supply that is rated for at least 0.5 amps.

What you'll find is that PoE switches cost about the same as a bunch of individual power supplies, making PoE switches the obvious choice.
Than you for this explanation - I get the “why” now.