POE switches (outdoor) to reduce cable runs

Bill Stock

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been using Arlo cameras as a temporary measure, as they are easy to install and the notifications work. I've never had any luck with Notifications and my Hikvision cameras. I think I need to upgrade my NVR though.

I was going to run three camera cables through the attic to the POE switch in my office, but I got thinking that I could install a POE switch under the covered deck and use the existing deck camera cables to feed back to the network. Same thing for the garage, use the garage camera cable to feed the network and feed my additional cameras to the switch.

I have a Ubiquity network, but I think I'd just use some cheap TP Link POE switches for my cameras. The deck rafters are completely storm proof, the only issue being the Raccoons, but they've never bothered the existing wiring out there. I've already tested adding a POE camera to my NVR, and it works fine.

Has anyone done this with Hikvision? I saw another thread where someone asked a similar question about another brand.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Whether it is Hikvision or any other ONVIF type IP camera doesn't really matter as it is just digital data and will work.

Just remember you cannot exceed the number of channels of the NVR, it is best to match brand of camera and NVR, and the switch would plug into the WAN/LAN port of the NVR not a POE port of the NVR.

Bill Stock

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I was just going to plug the POE switch into another switch on the LAN. That's how my current test camera works, POE switch to another POE switch.

All of my cameras in waiting are Hikvision.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You should be good to go then!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...I got thinking that I could install a POE switch under the covered deck .....
Even though you said "the deck rafters are storm proof", I'd at least consider using dielectric grease on the Ethernet connections (male RJ-45 on cable, female Rj-45 on switch) to help mitigate corrosion from moisture. :cool:

We've seen recent damage from ants getting into a switch that was inside a weatherproof box and causing problems, too. The OP replaced the switch and used duct seal around cable entrances to help keep the ants and other insects out of the box.

....the only issue being the Raccoons, but they've never bothered the existing wiring out there.....
As long as the squirrels don't find out if your cables become more exposed in the process. Those @#$% tree rats love the taste of thermoplastic on cables and wiring, I think it's the soy content. Don't ask why but they especially love red and orange hues.

They've nibbled on my garden hose and extension cords under my shed for years...just this weekend I saw where they've been chewing on the orange plastic tips on my Mahindra tractor's throttle lever, PTO engagement lever and transmission control levers. I hate the little fargin' bastiches. :mad:

Last edited:

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Even though you said "the deck rafters are storm proof", I'd at least consider using dielectric grease on the Ethernet connections (male RJ-45 on cable, female Rj-45 on switch) to help mitigate corrosion from moisture. :cool:

We've seen recent damage from ants getting into a switch that was inside a weatherproof box and causing problems, too. The OP replaced the switch and used duct seal around cable entrances to help keep the ants and other insects out of the box.

As long as the squirrels don't find out if your cables become more exposed in the process. Those @#$% tree rats love the taste of thermoplastic on cables and wiring, I think it's the soy content. Don't ask why but they especially love red and orange hues.

They've nibbled on my garden hose and extension cords under my shed for years...just this weekend I saw where they've been chewing on the orange plastic tips on my Mahindra tractor's throttle lever, PTO engagement lever and transmission control levers. I hate the little fargin' bastiches. :mad:
not to take this thread off topic, how exactly do you use the dielectric grease on the connectors?

Do you literally apply the grease inside the connectors? or Outside to cover any "holes" that air/moisture might get through ? Got a picture of how it's apply?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
not to take this thread off topic, how exactly do you use the dielectric grease on the connectors?

Do you literally apply the grease inside the connectors? or Outside to cover any "holes" that air/moisture might get through ? Got a picture of how it's apply?
I squirt a 1/4" size bead on the male gold contacts area and same in the female and work it in and out a few times to evenly distribute it all over both so they're coated well; the last time I insert it I wipe off excess that may squirt out and remain on the outside with a disposable paper towel or tissue.

When done, wash your hands. Do NOT get in your eyes! :headbang:

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To clarify the use of duct seal, I plug holes and gaps generally under or behind devices that are not precision engineered or up against irregular surfaces (like brick) to help keep out insects, especially dirt daubers. I don't use it in an attempt to waterproof something that's in the direct rain.