POE switches with SFP slot(s) ?

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Glad you enjoyed it! Personally, I love listening to people that think when they speak everyone is supposed to think it's the voice of God.
Not saying that's you..... :cool:

I just think fiber is a waste and the lightning strike that would do catastrophic damage to camera system is not going to be the major subject on someone's mind when the rest of their stuff is nuked.

But I'm not the person who would put crazy money into things either. My computer is 18 years old and its still runs great.

BTW, how are you grounding the shields on your cam wires? After all, the cam side is 100% plastic and most poe ports are not shielded ports.

Crimping a drain wire on the connector maybe?

Last edited:

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just glanced thru the thread. Fiber doesnt conduct spikes like a copper cable does. Lost several POE switches due to "lightening" but it doesn't travel down a glass fiber. "IMHO" .... I've installed the lazy way with my ubiquity PTP or PT MTP and all i ever lost was the poe switch.

I remember when halo ground at a point of presence or tower site was mandatory.(may still be).. Had several managers/engineerers go against the book and cut the grounds to our equipment. (not the 48v positive grnd)..They said they felt like lightening took the easiest path to ground, even if your equipment was " to specifications" they didn't want our equipment presenting a ground path.

smole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I've been running 2 of these for over 2 years without any problems (fixed and PTZ cams).

Just don't get the 48V Mikrotik PSU, get a 54V or 56V PSU with more amps.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Most quality switches Poe or not have shielded metal ports. Shielded cable is easily grounded with proper Rj45s. You need to stop posting inaccurate information and do some studying of your own.

Its a question.

How does the shielded cables on cam wires get grounded when both sides are plastic ports?
Yes, most quality poe switches have metal ports, but what do you do on the cam side since all I ever seen had this molded jack pig tail?
Two ways I can think of on how to ground the shield: Adding a drain wire externally on the crimp, and using some sort of grounding patch bay on one end,. which technically shields the cable, but not as well as both ends grounded.

Beyond asking the OP the direct question: How different the outcome of the lightning strike will be if the underground data run is fiber vs copper when the lightning strikes I observed only fries the cam poe and maybe a wire in the remote building when it gets struck by lightning? Quite frankly, I think its not going to make a difference, it will still fry the poe in the remote building. Never seen a lightning strike travel back to the front end from a remote building.

Nothing I said is inaccurate info. Stop trolling and assuming such.

Last edited:

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can get a used enterprise switch on ebay that has PoE and SFP ports for under $100. It will last you a long time. There is a reason why some of those enterprise switches have a lifetime warranty (only for the original owner).

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Beyond asking the OP the direct question: How different the outcome of the lightning strike will be if the underground data run is fiber vs copper when the lightning strikes I observed only fries the cam poe and maybe a wire in the remote building when it gets struck by lightning? Quite frankly, I think its not going to make a difference, it will still fry the poe in the remote building. Never seen a lightning strike travel back to the front end from a remote building.
I'm the OP of this thread and if you look back it's in regard to copper in the attic, not underground, and there's no remote building or barn..
I opened this thread so as to not hijack his thread.

I think you're thinking about this thread ==>> Need an WiFi Access Point for my barn. :cool:

Never seen a lightning strike travel back to the front end from a remote building.
I have.
I've had lightning destroy whatever was connected to both ends of the CAT-5 between 2 buildings; switches, AP's and Ethernet NIC's and on more than one occasion and at different physical locations of different clients/customers.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm the OP of this thread and if you look back it's in regard to copper in the attic, not underground, and there's no remote building or barn..
I opened this thread so as to not hijack his thread.

I think you're thinking about this thread ==>> Need an WiFi Access Point for my barn. :cool:
Non POE attic runs would benefit being fiber. However, weather its cost effective compared to hardening the cable run with shielded cable inside grounded medal conduit I have no Idea. But the later method is not always effective because the earth grounding impedance might not be low enough for the copper cable grounding shield method to always work. Which is most likely why the situation below between two buildings happened.

I have.
I've had lightning destroy whatever was connected to both ends of the CAT-5 between 2 buildings; switches, AP's and Ethernet NIC's and on more than one occasion and at different physical locations of different clients/customers.
I always find it interesting of how lightning strikes somewhere and how it caused its damage in its wake. It always fascinated me even back when I was a TV repair man in the 80s, and even when I visited an interesting place while I was in the USAF that had a lightning simulator that would evaluate what happens to planes when they are struck in mid air.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll chime in with that lightning is extremely unpredictable in what path it takes to reach "earth ground". It also becomes a function of what "earth ground" may be from millisecond to millisecond. Avoiding/installing fiber to avoid being a potential route to "earth ground" during some random millisecond during a lightning event is just a prudent thing to do.

A friend's house got struck by lightning some years ago. It hit the fireplace chimney taking out a few flue pipe in the process. It then came out the of the fireplace and arced across the room to an outlet. That was obvious by the destroyed faceplate, outlet, box and wiring plus the charred sheetrock around the outlet with the hole looking like it had been punched from the room into the wall. From there it ran around the electrical system taking out all the TVs, which were off, the oil burner and circulator motors, the refrigerator, the air conditioning and finally, apparently, found the "earth ground" it wanted at the submersible well pump in the well.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'll chime in with that lightning is extremely unpredictable in what path it takes to reach "earth ground". It also becomes a function of what "earth ground" may be from millisecond to millisecond. Avoiding/installing fiber to avoid being a potential route to "earth ground" during some random millisecond during a lightning event is just a prudent thing to do.

A friend's house got struck by lightning some years ago. It hit the fireplace chimney taking out a few flue pipe in the process. It then came out the of the fireplace and arced across the room to an outlet. That was obvious by the destroyed faceplate, outlet, box and wiring plus the charred sheetrock around the outlet with the hole looking like it had been punched from the room into the wall. From there it ran around the electrical system taking out all the TVs, which were off, the oil burner and circulator motors, the refrigerator, the air conditioning and finally, apparently, found the "earth ground" it wanted at the submersible well pump in the well.
About 2009 lighting hit the top of a very mature southern pine tree (about 65 ft. tall), ran down the moisture-filled trunk, splitting it all the way down to the earth within about 15 ft. of the ground, then from the bottom of the tree it ran a zigzag pattern in proximity to a PVC water line that was about 2 ft. deep, plowing up the dirt like a single tang plow, the furrow height of the dirt varying between 6" to a foot, It traveled like this about 25 feet toward their house and stopped short of the propane tank by about 20 feet.

I've never seen lightning plow dirt like that and likely won't see it again. If someone were to tell me about it I'm not sure I would have believed them. My dad could spin a good yarn but I got to see it with my own eyes and I am still amazed at the power of lightning and its destruction capability.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can get a used enterprise switch on ebay that has PoE and SFP ports for under $100. It will last you a long time. There is a reason why some of those enterprise switches have a lifetime warranty (only for the original owner).
The one I got off Ebay ..I registered for the life time warranty(accepted)....and is still working

ryan99alero

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
HPE E3800 with SFP+ ports. 48port Model# "J9576A" Used ebay. Dual Power Supplies. Enterprise grade but affordable. They offer 24 and 48 port, POE+ and non POE in both port counts. My J9576A has 4SFP+ ports.

I personally have mostly stopped using POE switches. In my opinion all mfg charge more than its worth allowing you to upgrade switching equipment sooner. We save roughly 4k per switch by breaking out POE with 20 switches thats a decent savings. Instead I get MidSpans and I've been using them from a company called PowerDsine. For residential / side projects I buy them used on ebay. For enterprise new with warranty. In enterprise we use them mainly for VOIP setup's but also recently started putting our security camera's on them. But the PowerDsine has multiple models depending on ones power needs be it 802.3af @ 15.4W 802.3at @25.5Wor 802.3bt @60W. We mainly user HPE / Aruba switches. To save you can pickup a older generation used HPE E3800 switch for $250-500 on ebay. Still way more powerful than your new generation box store switch. I imagine most of you truthfully don't use alot of switching option other than maybe a few using VLAN's.

I'm currently using 2 Ubiquity switches a 16 port and a 24port but am in process of switching over to a E3800 48port with MidSpan setup. Midspan has a GUI for remote restarting POE ports as well. If you use VLAN's and get at least a layer3 switch you can do all your traffic routing at the switch to remove latency / bottleneck at the Router. Likely 90% of most users bottlenecks is their storage / VMS Compute power. I'm upgrading all my camera's to be edge based analytics so only need storage not compute power at VMS. Just make sure to compute all your bottleneck points. Switch Backplane, remote switch to core switch uplink bandwidth, Storage network / disk bottleneck, core switch to router uplink. Router throughput if your doing any kinda network path rules most are rated as Packets Per Second throughput and mb / gb throughput and finally WAN speed for either remote viewing or offsite backup. You can always create a second stream on your VMS at a lower resolution for offsite streaming / analytic analysis to save on CPU / GPU usage as well. Adding a real GPU is also another option for increasing VMS max camera capacity. Sorry for lengthy response.

ryan99alero

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I found the following HPE Lightning Protection Guide from HPE very useful. Don't like using someone's links for fear of viruses. Use Google search engine and search for the following: site:HPE.com "Lightning Protection" Using Site:Website.com forces google to only search content on that site. it should be one of the first links. I attached the PDF plus another gem from FortiGate about camera bandwidth as thats what I use for my Gateway device at home and work. Alot of data so understandable if alot pass over. No Cliff note summaries. Read and digest in full.

Attachments