Polar vortex

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How's is everyone's cameras holding out?

I've seen one member on another forum reporting his LeChange / Dahua OEM IPC-HDW48xx cameras cutting out.

Wondering if there is a difference on the installation which may affect the ability of the cameras to function.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
How's is everyone's cameras holding out?

I've seen one member on another forum reporting his LeChange / Dahua OEM IPC-HDW48xx cameras cutting out.

Wondering if there is a difference on the installation which may affect the ability of the cameras to function.
All dauha cameras db11, turret, two ptz 59225 going strong.. no reboots or anything necessary

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No problems I'm aware of with outdoor/soffit-mounted Dahua HFW4239 or N44CB33. Nor with the N44CB33 that's in an unheated garage.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Even at -5° and -20° wind chill camera hovered around 30°

BGChicago

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
LeChange (Dahua sub brand) from Frys here. All 3 outdoors stopped at -15F (per WUnderground.com weather history, I actually think it was warmer at home based on my termometers, probably -10F). 48hrs later, only one of the 3 came back and temps have been above 20degrees for 8+ hours. My cameras also don't have the OSD Info option and so way to see internal temperature. This is not the first time they stop. Last time was 0F and again they did not turn on for a few days. Super disappointed as the previous super low end Night Owl cheap garbage never stopped in 4 winters.

Reaction score
No problems here, my 5MP Dahua tolerated -27 and -29 (actual temperatures) on 1/30 and 1/31 in Illinois west of Chicago. Wind chills we -50+ at those times. The furnace, however, is set 52-55 and dropped to 45 in the middle of the night (was sweating bullets), pretty sure the drafty old house was working the furnace "all night long" as they say.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Lol. Going to be in Palm Springs/Palm Desert in two weeks. Hopefully it won't be too cold.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
We haven't had any particularly cold weather out of this event here in central Wyoming. Missed us by that much! As of this writing, it is unseasonably warm here, actually.

We could use a dose of cold, however. Normally, we get at least one period of -40 temperatures that lasts a week or so every winter. But it has been a number of years since we've had that. and as a result, pine bark beetles have not been properly killed.

Here, and in many surrounding states, the pine bark beetles have done a lot of damage. It supposedly takes about 48 hours at -30 or below to kill the little buggers!

If the predictions of a coming cooling trend (mini ice age), due to the profound solar minimum we are currently experiencing, prove true, we may well see more of what we used to often see here. And while I don't love extreme cold, it does have some benefits, I guess.

We are getting our typical wind for this time of year, though.

SmartSelect_20190202-091338_Adblock Browser.jpg