Poor 2-Way Audio Quality in Blue Iris

Reaction score
I've been researching this issue for nearly a week and I haven't made any significant progress on fixing this issue. I have several Amcrest IP4M-1051b PTZ cameras around the house including an old IPM-HX1B. The cameras stream and record just fine in Blue Iris. However, I'm getting absolutely horrible 2-way audio quality when talking from my phone to one of the cameras. The audio is heavily distorted almost as if there is a sample rate mismatch. When I use the Amcrest app my voice is crystal clear so it's definitely something related to Blue Iris. I've found several posts over the years from people who experienced the same issue and it seems like everyone just seems to live with it. I've tried literally everything I can imagine and nothing helps. My wife insists on talking to the kids through the cameras and I thought it would be great to have them all in Blue Iris and have one app for all of the cameras but I'm finding that this may never be a reality.

Here are some of the things I've tried so far:
1. Changed the camera brand under the PTZ/Control tab. I tried all of the Amcrest and Dahua options and they either produce no audio or distorted audio.
2. Changed the Make/Model under the Video tab. Tried all of the Amcrest and Dahua options. Same results as above.
3. Tried changing in-camera audio settings such as sample rate or audio codec. Same result.
4. Tried enabling RTSP back-channel for talk support. It unchecks itself. When it doesn't uncheck itself I get no audio or no video.

Any ideas?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been researching this issue for nearly a week and I haven't made any significant progress on fixing this issue. I have several Amcrest IP4M-1051b PTZ cameras around the house including an old IPM-HX1B. The cameras stream and record just fine in Blue Iris. However, I'm getting absolutely horrible 2-way audio quality when talking from my phone to one of the cameras. The audio is heavily distorted almost as if there is a sample rate mismatch. When I use the Amcrest app my voice is crystal clear so it's definitely something related to Blue Iris. I've found several posts over the years from people who experienced the same issue and it seems like everyone just seems to live with it. I've tried literally everything I can imagine and nothing helps. My wife insists on talking to the kids through the cameras and I thought it would be great to have them all in Blue Iris and have one app for all of the cameras but I'm finding that this may never be a reality.

Here are some of the things I've tried so far:
1. Changed the camera brand under the PTZ/Control tab. I tried all of the Amcrest and Dahua options and they either produce no audio or distorted audio.
2. Changed the Make/Model under the Video tab. Tried all of the Amcrest and Dahua options. Same results as above.
3. Tried changing in-camera audio settings such as sample rate or audio codec. Same result.
4. Tried enabling RTSP back-channel for talk support. It unchecks itself. When it doesn't uncheck itself I get no audio or no video.

Any ideas?
The talk audio can be garbled at times. I would email support and see if he will to look into it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use the Amcrest app that was designed for two-way talk LOL.

As your research has found, two-way talk is problematic. BI does several things really well, but it can struggle with two-way audio.

I messed around with it to try to get it as good as I could, and I never use it LOL. One of those things that sound good in theory, but reality between the inherent lag of IP cameras and what not, I use audio recordings to basically tell perps to leave in not so nice ways depending on how close they get lol.

viper78

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same with Hikvision camera. Probably the same cause.

'This is a known issue.' --> will this mean that it's also on the list to be solved in one of the upcomming updates?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the same with Hikvision camera. Probably the same cause.

'This is a known issue.' --> will this mean that it's also on the list to be solved in one of the upcomming updates?
No it means you need to email support and ask him to troubleshoot it. Has been this way for years. I believe it's related to the mobile app because if you push your own .wav alert audio file from blue iris to the camera it's crystal clear.