Poor Hikvision Wireless on mini-dome ( Hikvision DS-2CD2542FWD-IWS )

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am experiencing very poor wireless on my new Hikvision mini dome DS-2CD2542FWD-IWS. It doesn't connect at the outside of the house.
So, I took it on the patio where I have a verified (insider) strong signal with my other devices. The cam still only barley connects, when it does it reports signal strength of 50 for my WiFi.

Is this expected with this cam?
Is there anything that can be done to improve it?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
when it does it reports signal strength of 50 for my WiFi
That's a reasonable signal.
It may be worth doing a survey of the WiFi spectrum at the camera location, checking for example for competing access points using the same or adjacent channels.
An easy way to do this is by using one of the various analysis tools for Android phones, such as 'WiFi Analyser' from Farproc.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
As I recall my mini Dome was getting much worse signal then 2432s, perhaps due to metal housing. Same with larger dome as well, not as good signal was the cube.

Last edited by a moderator:

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's a reasonable signal.
It may be worth doing a survey of the WiFi spectrum at the camera location, checking for example for competing access points using the same or adjacent channels.
An easy way to do this is by using one of the various analysis tools for Android phones, such as 'WiFi Analyser' from Farproc.
Generally, I use insider on a laptop in my house. I am in a townhome, so there is air wave competition. I have not gone with my laptop near the cam yet. But a ipad works just fine next to it and shows 3 bars.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
DS-2CD2432F-IW I've not been able to get working outside through brick walls. The only Wifi cameras I have got working have had external antennas which I don't think Hikvision do?

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The only way to solve this issue is by installing a second AP nearby.

Does anyone know if this camera or BlueIris allows to create privacy screens? e.g. allow me to add an overlay in a certain area?