Poor IR contrast in new Tennessee license plates

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If they had one of these capable of reading out to 100' to 120' I'd be very tempted to purchase one.
Perhaps next year.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
"Yet" being the operative word. I think the use of 3M printed plates is a growing trend in a lot of states. Even if Texas plates are still readable at 850nm, you'll still find yourself missing plates from other states.

I think that 730/740nm IR, or warm white light illumination, is the wave of the future for all LPR cameras. State legislators simply don't care if license plates can't be read by 850nm LPR cameras. All they care about is the revenue they can collect by offering hundreds of different styles of vanity plates.
Only when a porch pirate hits a legislator's porch and no one could capture the image of the nice vanity plate will this trend change.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See this thread how I am getting them in color

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We will invite @wittaj to do this testing,
It can capture 120km/h car license. Hopefully it's a nice one on this 730nm one. The sample i wait around 2 months. This week can be ready.
Do you have a model number and/or possible price point on this camera? I may be upgrading one of my Z12's to the S2 and another Z12 to either the S2 or to a Z4 S3. I may hold off if a better option is coming soon. You described it an an ANPR camera. Is it a proper ANPR camera with ANPR functions or would it be a camera that can also be used an a plate reader?

Reaction score
Do you have a model number and/or possible price point on this camera? I may be upgrading one of my Z12's to the S2 and another Z12 to either the S2 or to a Z4 S3. I may hold off if a better option is coming soon. You described it an an ANPR camera. Is it a proper ANPR camera with ANPR functions or would it be a camera that can also be used an a plate reader?
My guess is the one I posted a link to back in July.

Last edited:
Reaction score
We will invite @wittaj to do this testing,
It can capture 120km/h car license. Hopefully it's a nice one on this 730nm one. The sample i wait around 2 months. This week can be ready.
I would much rather see a 730nm or warm white light version of the -Z12E camera. A friend of mine has tested the built-in ANPR function in the Dahua ITC413-PW4D-Z3, and found that external LPR software (i.e. Rekor Scout) did a much better job of reading plates. He was completely unimpressed with the built-in ANPR functionality.

What is needed is a "dumb" 730nm / warm white LED camera with a good sensor and plenty of optical zoom, and without the built-in ANPR. A modified -Z12E would be much cheaper and far more practical. Let the end user deal with LPR functionality if required.

Reaction score
Just noticed I had some extra letters in there, didn’t mean to say “linked to”

from the descriptors so far it’s a possible candidate