Poor IR contrast in new Tennessee license plates

Reaction score
I am stating to wonder that we are trying to do too much with one cam. Maybe expecting one LPR cam to be able to tackle normal (?) plates AND 3M plates is not proper. Sometimes I have an issue with plates being washed out and other times they are just fine. Maybe we will have to do two cams. One tuned to the 3M plates and the other for IR reflective plates.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
We purchased an ANPR camera from Digital Watchdog - DWC-XSBA05MiL. But yall make a good point about the lens needing to be able to 'see' it. I saw where Flock had made comments that they some how 'trained' their cameras to be able to identify the new plates from Tennessee. I wonder if this is something the manufacturer of that DW camera could do in an update. I obviously doubt it but it would definitely be interesting.

I can't speak to new installations, but the Flock cameras that have been around for several years here in mid-TN are now noticeably brighter red strobing LEDs. I suspect they're retro-fitting their existing installations - at least here in 3M printed-plate heaven, TN.