Popular IP Cameras

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Popular IP Cameras

In researching some IP Cameras on this forum, I noticed that out of the ones on this forum of topics, there are two brands that are very popular.

The Dahua and the Hikvision!
Hikvision has more discussions and posts.

Just wondering what members think of them and why?

also does anyone mix and match brands? or stick to the same brand's the NVR?

I noticed that the below Dahua cameras are talked about the most.
IPC-HDW5231R-Z turrets
IPC-HDW5231R-Z | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology
IPC-HDW5231R-Z12
IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology
IPC-HDBW4231F-AS
IPC-HDBW4231F-AS | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE - Dahua Technology

Which Hikvision are liked the most?
Thanks

upload_2017-12-11_8-3-6.png

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Sam,

If you plan to mix and match best to go with Blue Iris from what I have been reading.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, Dahua and Hikvision both make quality cameras.

On the forum here, it seems like Dahua took the lead with interest (and sub-forum posts) when @nayr reviewed the Starlight Varifocal Turret last November. I know the Hikvision forum has the most posts overall, but it seems like the Dahua sub-forum has had the most traffic over the last year.

One disadvantage to mixing camera brands against the NVR brand is that almost always means that you can't use the camera's advanced motion detection features (line crossing/intrusion detection/etc). That leaves you stuck with the basic motion detection, which usually has a lot of false positives. Blue Iris (NVR software that runs on a Windows PC) can look at video coming in from cameras (regardless of brand) and do its own advanced motion detection, which is why I think it often gets the nod, especially in an environment with mix/matched cameras.

My personal preference at the moment are the Dahua Starlights. There's a ton of owners here that are willing to help with questions/tuning, there's an AliExpress vendor (with an excellent track record of sales/supports) who frequents the Dahua sub-forum, and it feels like Dahua has been regularly releasing firmware updates for the Starlight series.