Port forwarding issue

Reaction score
I've spent today trying to get my Foscam to work remotely.

I've followed a number of guides, changed a lot of different settings, to no avail.

I'm using a Technicolor gateway router TG582n. I've tried putting the cameras IP address in the DMZ, forwarded a few different ports etc, and still no connection. Also tried using the Foscam DDNS, as well as No-IP, neither seems to work.

I suspect its a router issue as I've checked the ports via various websites, and no matter which port I choose, apparently there's no access. Sorry for the vague post at this stage, the camera is to watch a puppy, and I don't have much time away from the puppy to write more details!

I guess my main question is if anyone else has encountered this kind of issue? later on I can post screenshots of the settings I've used to no avail.

(I should add that the camera works fine on the network)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum..dont put the camera in DMZ..post the camera model number...post screenshots of your portforward settings...

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I've taken the camera out of the DMZ etc.

Here are the relevant details:

It's a Foscam FI8910W, running firmware version 11.37.2.59, and web ui version 2.4.10.11.

Router is a Technicolor TG582n on the UK "Plusnet" provider. The ISP claims to not block any ports as standard, though they do admit to restricting access on a case-by-case basis (IE, throttling) if they think it is necessary. I wouldn't have thought they'd be blocking ALL my ports though.

In my efforts to figure out what is wrong I've set the camera to use port 8000. I also temporarily disabled all my PC firewalls, as well as the router firewall, and tried it with and without the camera in the DMZ. No matter what I try, the port comes up as blocked on the web port checkers!

One thing I have just noticed is that when I try and select the camera from my port forwarding list via its MAC address (the only option) It won't let me. If I say "user defined" and specify the IP address, it seems to then add the port forward rule to a different device!

Camera details including MAC

At the drop down list you can see the camera MAC address listed but I can't select it directly. You can also see my rule has been applied to a different device, after applying it to the cameras IP!?

And this is the rule I am trying to use:

I might try and update the router firmware.Also, I am on fibre broadband. So my connection first runes through some Fibre modem the ISP provided me with, before going through the (ISP provided) Thomson router. Could it be something the MOdem is doing that is blocking the connection?

Attachments

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I think I sussed it... I needed to also state the port under port triggering, seems to work now!

Reaction score
I added port 8000 to the trigger protocol and trigger port (as well as the port range and translates to.. fields). Previously I had ignored the trigger fields as what I had read suggested they weren't needed in most cases.

Then last night I read up on what trigger protocols are, thought it sounded like it might work, and it did!

Attachments