Portable security camera rig to remote NVR/BI

Marshall

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a unique need as a production company where I would like to put together a portable security camera kit. I would take these to different venues where they will provide me with an internet thru their router so it will be double NAT. The issue is getting it thru their firewall?

The kit would contain 1 Router, 1 AP, POE Switch, and 2 or 3 wired cams + 1 or 2 wireless cams.

What would be the best way to set these up to pretty much no matter where I plug them in, they will be able to remote in to my Dahua NVR or Blue Iris server back at home? I use an edge router and already have a few locations using site to site VPN for cameras and works fine.

Options I've thought:
1- VPN on router I plug into the venues internet line (probably will run into a double NAT firewall issue here)
2- DDNS on the cameras individual settings (Again think I will hit firewall issue here)
3- Using something like a PC with dual LANs to create some other kind of VPN that doesnt depend on ports?

I'm sure there has got to be a way, just like Ring is able to connect to any network and communicate without any opened ports...

I don't need two way communication, just making sure the NVR on the other end can capture video and ideally audio too.

Any thoughts?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a unique need as a production company where I would like to put together a portable security camera kit. I would take these to different venues where they will provide me with an internet thru their router so it will be double NAT. The issue is getting it thru their firewall?

The kit would contain 1 Router, 1 AP, POE Switch, and 2 or 3 wired cams + 1 or 2 wireless cams.

What would be the best way to set these up to pretty much no matter where I plug them in, they will be able to remote in to my Dahua NVR or Blue Iris server back at home? I use an edge router and already have a few locations using site to site VPN for cameras and works fine.

Options I've thought:
1- VPN on router I plug into the venues internet line (probably will run into a double NAT firewall issue here)
2- DDNS on the cameras individual settings (Again think I will hit firewall issue here)
3- Using something like a PC with dual LANs to create some other kind of VPN that doesnt depend on ports?

I'm sure there has got to be a way, just like Ring is able to connect to any network and communicate without any opened ports...

I don't need two way communication, just making sure the NVR on the other end can capture video and ideally audio too.

Any thoughts?
ngrok, hamachi

Marshall

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks are either of this possible to implement without a computer on the remote end? would you suggest one over the other? I'm thinking if I used himachi on a PC with Dual LAN, 1 for the internet side and 1 for my LAN side, I feel like it wouldn't route that traffic thru himachi.

Marshall

n3wb
Reaction score
And thinking about NGROK, i'm worried it would route all web traffic thru the tunnel. I will have more than just cameras on the other side of this connection, such as computers, and youtube live streaming devices. So sounds like maybe the best way to go is himachi and it should know what traffic to VPN and what can go direct?