Position of hikvision turrett above light - fine?

ideal2545

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm debating where to put a camera to keep an eye on the cars and also to potentially capture cars coming up my long driveway. I have an HOA to deal with so I dont want to put this camera anywhere too 'obvious' so I was thinking above the light to the far right of the attached image. The light itself has some shield on the top of it so I think it will stop light reflecting directly into the camera but I wanted to see what you guys thought? I marked it in red.

I forgot to mention the camera is a hikvision turret camera: DS-2CD2342WD 2.8mm

Jon

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Really won't know until you test it. Some have problems with a camera above in similar situations and some don't. Some have issues with it below or to the side and some don't.

Each field of view is so unique - the light on the other side of the garage could impact it at that location, a yard lamp could for example, or even the light next to it.

Most here will set up a temporary rig to try it at different spots, both day and night.

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Really won't know until you test it. Some have problems with a camera above in similar situations and some don't. Some have issues with it below or to the side and some don't.

Each field of view is so unique - the light on the other side of the garage could impact it at that location, a yard lamp could for example, or even the light next to it.

Most here will set up a temporary rig to try it at different spots, both day and night.
I did what wittaj recommend and I had no issues with mounting the camera above one of my front door lights so I did the permanent mount.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm debating where to put a camera to keep an eye on the cars and also to potentially capture cars coming up my long driveway. I have an HOA to deal with so I dont want to put this camera anywhere too 'obvious' so I was thinking above the light to the far right of the attached image. The light itself has some shield on the top of it so I think it will stop light reflecting directly into the camera but I wanted to see what you guys thought? I marked it in red.

I forgot to mention the camera is a hikvision turret camera: DS-2CD2342WD 2.8mm

Jon

Hi @ideal2545

Definitely test it out.

One thing you can try, is modifying the light fixture itself and hiding the camera in the light fixture.
( HOAs really do suck if the wrong people are running them.. sort of mini-dictators.. - hopefully you have good people running the HOA )

note: I would prefer you had a better camera there.. I feel the 1/3" sensor models do not perform that well

info on camera:

DS-2CD2342WD-I
Camera
Image Sensor 1/3" progressive scan CMOS
Minimum Illumination Color: 0.028 lux @ (ƒ/2.0, AGC on), B/W: 0 lux with IR
Shutter Speed 1/3 s to 1/10,000 s
Lens Fixed, 2.8 mm (4 mm, 6 mm options)
Angle of View 106° (2.8 mm), 83° (4 mm), 56° (6 mm)
Lens Mount M12
Day/Night IR cut filter with auto switch
Digital Noise Reduction 3D Digital Noise Reduction
Wide Dynamic Range 120 dB
Pan/Tilt/Rotation Pan: 0° to 360°, tilt: 0° to 75°, rotation: 0° to 360°
Compression Standards
Video Compression H.264+, H.264, MJPEG
H.264 Type Main Profile
Video Bit Rate 32 Kbps to
1623540812145.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW...

I like 2 cameras covering the garage area

These are the 2 locations I would try, and I would paint the cameras to match the walls - attempting to get a good blend in and minimize HOA issues..

Attachments

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was thinking about something small like a SD29204UE-GN, SD22204UE-GN or DH-SD1A203T-GN might work.

I don't know the hikvision equivalent models though.

ideal2545

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @ideal2545

Definitely test it out.

One thing you can try, is modifying the light fixture itself and hiding the camera in the light fixture.
( HOAs really do suck if the wrong people are running them.. sort of mini-dictators.. - hopefully you have good people running the HOA )

note: I would prefer you had a better camera there.. I feel the 1/3" sensor models do not perform that well

info on camera:

DS-2CD2342WD-I
Camera
Image Sensor 1/3" progressive scan CMOS
Minimum Illumination Color: 0.028 lux @ (ƒ/2.0, AGC on), B/W: 0 lux with IR
Shutter Speed 1/3 s to 1/10,000 s
Lens Fixed, 2.8 mm (4 mm, 6 mm options)
Angle of View 106° (2.8 mm), 83° (4 mm), 56° (6 mm)
Lens Mount M12
Day/Night IR cut filter with auto switch
Digital Noise Reduction 3D Digital Noise Reduction
Wide Dynamic Range 120 dB
Pan/Tilt/Rotation Pan: 0° to 360°, tilt: 0° to 75°, rotation: 0° to 360°
Compression Standards
Video Compression H.264+, H.264, MJPEG
H.264 Type Main Profile
Video Bit Rate 32 Kbps to
View attachment 92211
Thanks alot - what would be a good image sensor to look for?