Possible condensation

ThChinaman

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have an Axis P3364-LVE mounted under a soffit on the third floor and it seems to have condensation or something of that sort. I was reviewing the night footage and saw it very apparent from 10pm to around 1130am. Other than the blurry circle that appears and slowly shrinks, the footage is very sharp. Could it be possible that there is condensation, and how could I prevent that from happening? I contacted support and the only thing they asked was if I performed auto focus or not. The first photo is around midnight, the second at 8am, third at 11am, and the fourth at noon. There's currently no way for me to climb up and see if the condensation is on the inside or out or to even check the gaskets and such.

Attachments

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It appears it's on the OUTSIDE of the camera lens. It happens a few times to my PTZ, I can wipe it with a cloth, or during the day as the sun comes up, and as the camera heats up, it slowly disappears like your images.

When there is alot of fog during the night or next morning, my PTZ has it on the outside of the lens.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If it is indeed on the outside maybe you can try some of that anti fogging stuff they use on windows and goggles, when you can get up there and investigate that is.

If it's on the inside maybe some extra silica gel

ThChinaman

n3wb
Reaction score
badmop, does the fogging obscure your video? There is a built in heater. Do you think that could prevent the condensation if I figure out how to make it run? It's supposed to turn on by itself if it gets too cold and I could not find a way to make it run on schedule. The only adjustments I could find was in advanced settings. Does anyone happen to know if it would be safe if I adjusted the settings so that the Trigger Low was set to the night temperature?

Michelin Man, do you mean the sprays used on car windows? RainX and Stoners Invisible Glass seems to fog easily even though it keeps my glass really clean. If I put silica gel packets inside, would I have to recharge it every now and then? Would hate to have to pull out a ladder just to change them.

Thanks for the quick replies, everyone!

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is very unusual. It should not be happening on any camera and certainly not on a 1000 dollar unit. You should have them replace it. How old is the camera?

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow, a built in heater. That's awsome, maybe there's more info in the manual or something.

If you were to use silica gel and you were getting constant condensation inside then yeah not very good. It probably would be more for the slightest amount of moisture like a last line of defense.

I'm not sure on the stuff they spray on goggles and stuff but that stuff seems to work, better than rainx anyways.

I think you should investigate a bit further and see where you are.

ThChinaman

n3wb
Reaction score
fenderman, the camera is only about a month old and was only powered on for a week max, most of it inside to configure, and two days outside. I did purchase it on Amazon. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to replace if I need to. Will need to find a long ladder to access.

Michelin Man, thanks for the tip on silica gel. When I do get access, I'll throw some in there just in case. I'm pretty sure the gaskets are on properly. Will check as soon as I can. I should have done tests with it before the scaffolds were taken down.

I have two more on order from B&H Photo but unfortunately they are on backorder so I can't compare to see if it's "normal" or the camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
fenderman, the camera is only about a month old and was only powered on for a week max, most of it inside to configure, and two days outside. I did purchase it on Amazon. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to replace if I need to. Will need to find a long ladder to access.

Michelin Man, thanks for the tip on silica gel. When I do get access, I'll throw some in there just in case. I'm pretty sure the gaskets are on properly. Will check as soon as I can. I should have done tests with it before the scaffolds were taken down.

I have two more on order from B&H Photo but unfortunately they are on backorder so I can't compare to see if it's "normal" or the camera.
Honestly that camera is way overpriced. You are better off returning it and ordering a 2mp hikvision.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The PTZ I explained my issue about, happened when the camera was turned off overnight. So no heat from the camera it self was being generated, but after a couple hours on starting at 7am, about 9am or less, it was all gone. Yes, you couldn't see anything basically, it was just blurry until it disappeared.

When you see it happens again, go out to the camera and wipe the lens and see if it goes away instantly.

ThChinaman

n3wb
Reaction score
Honestly that camera is way overpriced. You are better off returning it and ordering a 2mp hikvision.
That's true I suppose. I did wish the megapixel count was higher but I got sold on their Lightfinder tech. Not sure what it's called by other brands in case they have it. I also find Axis cameras very aesthetically pleasing. The IR diodes on the Axis cameras seem much more subtle to me than the Hikvisions.

The PTZ I explained my issue about, happened when the camera was turned off overnight. So no heat from the camera it self was being generated, but after a couple hours on starting at 7am, about 9am or less, it was all gone. Yes, you couldn't see anything basically, it was just blurry until it disappeared.

When you see it happens again, go out to the camera and wipe the lens and see if it goes away instantly.
If there was no heat from the camera itself, I'm assuming that the temperature would be equal to that of outside. How would condensation still form? I won't be able to get close enough to touch it but I do have a telephoto lens I can maybe use to look at it closely.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's true I suppose. I did wish the megapixel count was higher but I got sold on their Lightfinder tech. Not sure what it's called by other brands in case they have it. I also find Axis cameras very aesthetically pleasing. The IR diodes on the Axis cameras seem much more subtle to me than the Hikvisions.
Any 720p camera is going to be pretty good at night. That camera doesnt perform any better than say a 80 dollar 720p dahua at night. They are overcharging by a significant amount.
Here is a 2mp hikvision varifocal with hikvisions "darkfighter" technology, selling for 603, hundreds less than the axis.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1162153-REG/hikvision_darkfighter_series_ds_2cd4526fwd_izh_2mp.html
Darkfighter is much more advanced than the axis camera.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hikvision+darkfighter

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Any 720p camera is going to be pretty good at night. That camera doesnt perform any better than say a 80 dollar 720p dahua at night. They are overcharging by a significant amount.
Here is a 2mp hikvision varifocal with hikvisions "darkfighter" technology, selling for 603, hundreds less than the axis.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1162153-REG/hikvision_darkfighter_series_ds_2cd4526fwd_izh_2mp.html
HFW2100 is a mini bargain at $60 for those needing good night-performance on a budget. (pretty sure that's the 720p camera fenderman is referring to).

I'm tempted by a Darkfighter but not dishing out that kind of money.

ThChinaman

n3wb
Reaction score
I was trying to look for photos of Hikvision cameras, specifically where the cable enters the camera housing but I can't seem to find whether or not there is a rubber gasket so that I can plug the hole but also put a wire through. Photos just look like a metal plug. The RJ45 port instead of a pigtail on the camera that you mentioned is a big plus.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was trying to look for photos of Hikvision cameras, specifically where the cable enters the camera housing but I can't seem to find whether or not there is a rubber gasket so that I can plug the hole but also put a wire through. Photos just look like a metal plug. The RJ45 port instead of a pigtail on the camera that you mentioned is a big plus.
There is likely a mounting junction box you can use...regardless, I would never pay 4-500 more for an inferior camera for that feature...if you have siding, the pigtail can be shoved behind a nice looking siding mount.

ThChinaman

n3wb
Reaction score
There is likely a mounting junction box you can use...regardless, I would never pay 4-500 more for an inferior camera for that feature...if you have siding, the pigtail can be shoved behind a nice looking siding mount.
Do you mean a separate junction box behind the camera?

Unfortunately, there is nowhere for me to hide a pigtail. For all the other locations, I only have a CAT6 wire sticking out of a small 90 degree hole drilled into door support beams. I wish I could have at least fit a pancake behind it but no luck. I live in San Francisco so sometimes it gets really wet over here and I prefer a really well-sealed unit.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you mean a separate junction box behind the camera?

Unfortunately, there is nowhere for me to hide a pigtail. For all the other locations, I only have a CAT6 wire sticking out of a small 90 degree hole drilled into door support beams. I wish I could have at least fit a pancake behind it but no luck. I live in San Francisco so sometimes it gets really wet over here and I prefer a really well-sealed unit.
Yes a separate junction box behind the camera. There is a photo of a junction box at the bottom of this pdf
http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2015080514364456482.pdf
This unit may even have an ethernet port instead of a pigtail but you would need to confirm that with a dealer.
Aside from a higher resolution and better low light images, this cameras also includes motorized varifocal at 400-500 less. You can even pay a profession to splice the pigtail with the ethernet coming out of your wall and push it all back inside and still come out way ahead...

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In my case it was where it was really foggy out and it covered the lens with the fog/dew

If there was no heat from the camera itself, I'm assuming that the temperature would be equal to that of outside. How would condensation still form? I won't be able to get close enough to touch it but I do have a telephoto lens I can maybe use to look at it closely.

ThChinaman

n3wb
Reaction score
I was hoping for the camera to be as flush as possible, so a junction box would probably make it stick out too far. It's a good idea though, thank you.

Just to update everyone, the problem seems to be solved. I adjusted the heater to turn on if it reaches 55 degrees. First night seems okay, no condensation and clear image. Will check again the next few nights to see if solved. Thanks for all of your help!