Possible dual camera setup, please help with NVR choice

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Since this a new situation and the old thread didn't really get any comments; let's try a new thread.

A few months ago I asked advice on this forum for a 1 camera setup for a house that's being rebuild (still ongoing proces :rolleyes:).
I wanted a Hikvision camera with built-in SD-card that was not a dome-model.
(I have a dome-model myself - a DS-2CD2132F-IWS - and now I understand why most users here don't like them because of the IR-bleed)

Anywho; the only camera that I could find was this one.
I haven't really used it yet though.

But now my brother - the rebuild house is his - said he might have 2 camera's at his house.
This got me thinking; I could buy the same camera again and have the following setup:

- another DS-2CD2032F-I
- another 64GB SD-card

Or I could get some cheaper camera's and get a cheapo NVR with internal hard drive.
Something like:

- 2x DS-2CD3345-I
- Either the DS-7104N-SN or DS-7108N-SN. (don't think the second has much use over the first one)
- Some hard drive. An ordinary 1TB hard drive is about $54, a WD Purple or Seagate Skyhawk about $67.

The first solution is about $20 cheaper than the second (If I don't have to pay the import costs).
The second solution is safer, more reliable (no SD-card out in the open) and offers much more storage space (1TB shared instead of 64GB each). And the camera's themself seem to be better too.

What do you guys think of this? I could sell the (basically unused) DS-2CD2032F-I and buy the second setup.

Powering everything is another thing. Now I have some passive POE injector set and some ordinary 12V power supply. Or I could get 2 of these which are cheaper and less clutter/bulky.
A POE-switch is not really an option since the most cheap POE-switch I can get is about 3 times as expensive as a similar non-POE switch.

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Personally I'd (and did) go with the NVR setup. Centralised monitoring/recording and if you spend a little more you can get one with POE built in so it's all just plug and play.
Depending on the price difference I'd look at getting the 8 channel NVR as you never know how many more will be added in the future.

Off the top of my head, isn't the 710x NVRs restricted to they incoming bandwidth and camera resolution. Check this carefully, as you don't want to buy this and not be able to record the full resolution of the cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Those bullet cams are a poor choice in general...see the thread on the dahua starlight turret.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Personally I'd (and did) go with the NVR setup.
I thought so.
Centralised monitoring/recording
Monitoring isn't that important and placing the NVR in the living room is not really an option if you have an hard drive in there (noise).
and if you spend a little more you can get one with POE built in so it's all just plug and play.
True, but that's about $50 more than a non-POE NVR and I think it's wiser to invest in a POE-switch in that case.
Depending on the price difference I'd look at getting the 8 channel NVR as you never know how many more will be added in the future.
Price difference between those two is minimal; so the 8 channel might be the one to go with.
Even though it offers no real advantage over the 4 channel.
(as far as I can see the only difference is 8-ch@4CIF versus 8-ch@4CIF)
Off the top of my head, isn't the 710x NVRs restricted to they incoming bandwidth and camera resolution. Check this carefully, as you don't want to buy this and not be able to record the full resolution of the cameras.
Yes. The listing says both NVR's can record up to 2 camera's @ 1080p which is less then the possible resolutions the camera's can output. But 1080p is fine I guess.

Hik NVR's that offer those full resolutions are much, MUCH more expensive...
Those bullet cams are a poor choice in general...see the thread on the dahua starlight turret.
That's why I'm think about those EXIR models. ;)

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hmm, not many replies. Maybe if I add some more information.

This is the house. I made in Sketchup before rebuild started. I added some dimensions too (in meters).

- The property is NOT the rectangle, but the single line going around the house.
- The two white blocks on the right are a garage/shed which I didn't bother to recreate in Sketchup.:rolleyes:
- The road is on the left, a neighbor's driveway is on top, and on the right and the bottom are other neighbor's yards.
- The current own driveway is on the bottom. In the future it will go to where the cars are parked.
Or on the upper left corner of the property. Not yet fully figured out.

We were thinking to place 2 camera's on both sides of the house in the corner indicated by the red stars.
Placing them as high as possible (just under the gutter), facing the road.
Height will be about 2.5 - 2.8 meters.
The front door will be underneath the camera location (behind the van).

Hopefully the situation is clear, if not, please ask.

Now, to the electronics.

I was thinking of replacing the (expensive since it has a SDcard-slot) DS-2CD2032F-I with the popular EXIR-turret:
DS-2CD2335-I, DS-2CD2335-I (different listing?), DS-2CD2345-I or DS-2CD3345-I .

I was thinking of powering both camera's with POE, but do not yet know in what way.
A Hik NVR with POE-ports is at least double as expensive as the two listed below; so that's no option.
I could get two of these, this or this or a switch with POE. (but a switch with POE is very expensive too).
I have to figure out if those Aliexpress POE-solutions (the 4/8 port ones) are any good. If they are I could use them to power a POE-access-point as well which would be handy.

But this is where I need you guys very much.
I know how Hikvision camera's work on their own but not in combination with an NVR.
So; a couple of questions:

The only affordable (Hikvision) NVR I could find are the DS-7104N-SN or DS-7108N-SN. Basically the same NVR's but the second supposedly supports 8 channels instead of 4 but only in a very low resolution.
Only technical different (going through the specs) was the 8 channel NVR supports double the incoming bandwith, draws a bit more power and is slightly bigger in size.

- Will these 2 camera's work properly with said NVR's?
- If they do (I think they do) the NVR won't be able to record at full resolution but only at 1080p but that okay. I think I can't get away with the 4 channel instead of the 8-channel.
Recording both camera's at high resolutions needs a very expensive NVR.
- My idea is to put in a 1TB WD Purple drive and record both camera's 24/7 and highlight when movement and/or line crossing occurs. Is that possible? (recording 24/7 but also movement visible on timeline?)
- Who does the motion detection is this kind of setup? The camera's on their own or the NVR?

plattegrond.png zijde 1.png zijde 2.png