Possible office building customer for coming up. Recommendations for Dahua cameras?

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
for the price of this installation, I will go with a DIY server case build (like I did for my own house).
and a really good 24 port POE switch. Will not have to be managed since I am most likely go the route of a double NIC card in the Blue Iris machine to keep it out of the network
what is your POE switch of choice? Netgar, Luxul, Ubiquiti, Araknis?

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I will not go 'whatever is cheapest'. This is my first business installation and I will go quality. I am familar with Ubiquiti so most likely that route.
yea, def dont go the cheap route with such a large job.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm getting over 30 days on 20 cams with an 8TB and a 5TB splitting the load. 6 - 5 Megapixels cams, 5-2 Megapixel Cams, and 9 - 4 Megapixel cams.
If your running more 4's obviously you'd want a couple 8TB Purps or 10's.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Probably go with 10TB's because the guy will upgrade some cams later, and /or add some more....Or want higher FPS or Bitrates. for certain cams.
2 of mine are recording in mainstream 24/7/365 ( the Jivetechs) because they are bad at switching from Sub to main,,,,in a timely manner....thus missing key data.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
13TB's sounds low. Wonder what bit and frame rates you're running?

The IP Cam Space Calculator comes out at 40TB for 30 days !!!

For the calculation I used 20 x 4mp cameras, bit rate of 6,000 (5,000 mainstream + 1,000 sub stream) @ 15 fps.

Personally, I'd use 10,000 bit rate for home purposes on a 4TB (8,000 mainstream + 2,000 substream) but that ups the requirement to 70 TB according to the calculator.

Reaction score
Probably go with 10TB's because the guy will upgrade some cams later, and /or add some more....Or want higher FPS or Bitrates. for certain cams.
2 of mine are recording in mainstream 24/7/365 ( the Jivetechs) because they are bad at switching from Sub to main,,,,in a timely manner....thus missing key data.
never done a split load before. going to have to research how to do that. yea, something tells me 3 x 14TB is where I'm leaning at.
At the Western Digital homepage, they actually have their own storage capacity estimator tool. 24/7 for 30 days with 24 x 5MP cameras (I selected high to cover all bases) recording would come in at 113TB using H.264 but with H.265+ it comes in at 33TB.

Reaction score
Did order from Andy's Amazon site a single E3541F-AS-M 2.8mm to try out for myself. Already have the base for it.
Good thing too. Only 1 in stock. Best get 20 more, @EMPIRETECANDY ! :)
If this contract goes through, I'll of course contact Andy directly and order through him to get that super-duper-special-possible-ornotpossible-discount.

Reaction score
Holy mother of fuck. That estimator....says I need 49TB for what im doing right now.....Somebody in sales/ marketing must be pumping bullshit into the calc.
I am leaning towards 2 x 14TB HD's. And let the customer know it would be between 20-30 days of recording. If they want 30day or more, will need a 3rd HD.
How difficult is it to store Blue Iris continous recordings on 2 or even 3 or .... even 4 HD's?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Did order from Andy's Amazon site a single E3541F-AS-M 2.8mm to try out for myself. Already have the base for it.
Good thing too. Only 1 in stock. Best get 20 more, @EMPIRETECANDY ! :)
If this contract goes through, I'll of course contact Andy directly and order through him to get that super-duper-special-possible-ornotpossible-discount.
Might want to read his message here and check with him if it's something coming quick.

Reaction score
Might want to read his message here and check with him if it's something coming quick.

Same for the local DMV, and even my own work place with folks calling out. Worse than whatever timeframe during COVID. Heck, I might go back to wearing my mask again (I gots that woodworking sanding mask which doubles as flu/covid filter protection).
But luckily, customer understands it's winter time so could be 6 months before project gets started.

Reaction score
As far as dividing cameras across drives, I create a "New" directory on each drive then allocate cameras based on bitrate, resolution and frame rate trying to keep the load as even as possible across the drives.
no issues with Blue Iris getting confused about multiple "new" directories on different HD?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
No, the drives are all different so directory names can easily be the same. Another trick with the load balance is not to put every "rear" camera on a single drive. That's where the balancing act can get a little tricky. Again redundancy is what you're looking for so that if a drive fails you don't lose every camera on one side/room/whatever of the system.

For your own sanity you might want to make the directory names different but I've found "New" works fine, along with the drive letter. X:/New, Y:/New, Z:/New

Reaction score
No, the drives are all different so directory names can easily be the same. Another trick with the load balance is not to put every "rear" camera on a single drive. That's where the balancing act can get a little tricky. Again redundancy is what you're looking for so that if a drive fails you don't lose every camera on one side/room/whatever of the system.
stuff I would never of thought of. Thanks for this little nugget of info.