Possible to power camera by solar?

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I see on Amazon that there are some cheap solar powered cameras. They look like wings attached to the bullet cams.

That got me wondering. Most Dahua cams are about <7.5w consumption @ 12v. So that would equate to requiring a current of about 0.625A. Since a camera only gets 4-5 hours of sun everyday, the remaining hours of the requires that it be battery powered. I am thinking about building a standalone (pole mounted) LPR camera powered by solar + lithium. 20 hours of no sun + 0.625A means a battery capacity of 12.5AH at 12V. That is not difficult to achieve. But the panel must be able to restore power to the battery and then some at a rate of 3.125Ah. That's the difficult part it would seem.

Adding more battery only delays the inevitable of running out of charge or inadequate charging time.

Any thots?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I see on Amazon that there are some cheap solar powered cameras. They look like wings attached to the bullet cams.

That got me wondering. Most Dahua cams are about <7.5w consumption @ 12v. So that would equate to requiring a current of about 0.625A. Since a camera only gets 4-5 hours of sun everyday, the remaining hours of the requires that it be battery powered. I am thinking about building a standalone (pole mounted) LPR camera powered by solar + lithium. 20 hours of no sun + 0.625A means a battery capacity of 12.5AH at 12V. That is not difficult to achieve. But the panel must be able to restore power to the battery and then some at a rate of 3.125Ah. That's the difficult part it would seem.

Adding more battery only delays the inevitable of running out of charge or inadequate charging time.

Any thots?
Solar
you will also need to power a wireless connection

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If uptime is important to you, remember to oversize the system. Not every day is sunny. It may also help to have a low-voltage cutoff device to protect the batteries and your connected electronics when the voltage gets too low.

dgwasw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That got me wondering. Most Dahua cams are about <7.5w consumption @ 12v. So that would equate to requiring a current of about 0.625A. Since a camera only gets 4-5 hours of sun everyday, the remaining hours of the requires that it be battery powered. I am thinking about building a standalone (pole mounted) LPR camera powered by solar + lithium. 20 hours of no sun + 0.625A means a battery capacity of 12.5AH at 12V. That is not difficult to achieve. But the panel must be able to restore power to the battery and then some at a rate of 3.125Ah. That's the difficult part it would seem
For the last month I have been running a stand alone Hikvision camera 24/7,
DS-2CD2342WD-I and TP-Link radios on battery power only. 1Km back to the NVR
75 Amp Hr Battery is used and near its end of life.

Total day time load for the following items without IR is 0.7 Amps per hr.
Camera, TP radio, 12 to 24 vdc inverter (Radio).
Within 60 Hrs the system had shutdown.

Yesterday added a 100 watt 12V solar panel with controller set to disconnect the load when voltage drops below 10.5 volts as this will protect the electronics. I calculate this as the minimum panel size required.

Attachments

micoinde

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We needed to power a LTS CMIP9763NW-SZ bullet style camera and a Ubiquiti Nanobeam AC Gen2 “off the grid” 24/7 and Tycon Power recommended the following setup for us in the Mid-Atlantic States.

- 22 watt continuous load with 3.51 peak hours of sunlight.
- Average Power Consumption: 22.00 Watts (W)
Daily Power Consumption: 0.528 Kilowatt Hours (kWh)
- Minimum Size Solar Panel Needed: 151 Watts (W)
- Suggested Minimum Battery Capacity: 12V 88 Amp Hours (Ah)*.
*Note: Includes 50% battery derating for low temperature and misc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk