Potential new user trying to understand Blue Iris camera compatibility

tdhg566

n3wb
Reaction score
I will be installing a surveillance system in my home this Spring. I first thought I would use Axis cameras, since everyone seems to support them. I'm now leaning toward the (relatively) new 4mp Hikvision 2CD2142FWD models. Apparently these cameras aren't fully supported yet, at least not by Synology on their NVR216. I've also read scary things about people bricking their Hikvision nvr because the firmware came from the wrong source, e.g. China.

Seems much more logical to just have a software NVR that I can update as needed rather than a hardware NVR that becomes dated. I can start out testing BI on my desktop PC with one camera and go from there. Easy enough to build another PC just for surveillance.

So my question is: are the three 2CD2142FWD models supported by the latest version of Blue Iris? I couldn't find a compatibility list. OR, would I set individual parameters corresponding to the advanced camera features.

Thanks in advance

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi.... Number of things to be aware of:

1) Make sure you have a powerful desktop (i7 if possible but i5 would do) if you are using the 4 meg Hikvision cameras as I'm assuming you'll be installing a number of these.
2) Whilst these cameras are very nice with daylight you may be disappointed with night pictures unless you add more light i.e. spotlights etc. Think about if capturing night footage is more important and if so think about getting low meg cameras 1 or 2 meg
3) I have many different types of Hikvision cameras and use the following setting for each within Blueiris and they work fine.
hik.JPG

Hope that helps

tdhg566

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you! Really appreciate your help. But I'm a bit confused. You suggest getting LOWER mp cameras for BETTER night picture? Seems counterintuitive. Comments elsewhere about the 2CD2142FWD camera indicate that it is a BETTER low-light choice than the 3MP version. ??????

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you! Really appreciate your help. But I'm a bit confused. You suggest getting LOWER mp cameras for BETTER night picture? Seems counterintuitive. Comments elsewhere about the 2CD2142FWD camera indicate that it is a BETTER low-light choice than the 3MP version. ??????
Generally, lower res will be better at night with the same size sensor. http://www.cnet.com/news/camera-megapixels-why-more-isnt-always-better-smartphones-unlocked/
The 4mp hikvision is an exception to the 3mp hikvision. However, the 2mp wdr hikvision will be better than both of those.
Dont waste money bulding a pc. See the threads on dell optiplex and hp elite desks.
Blue iris support all hikvision cameras you adjust image parameters in the camera itself. Motion detection and recording are done in blue iris, though blue iris can also use in camera motion detection.