Power failures-POE failure

guerino1

n3wb
Reaction score
Had bad wind a few days ago and 6 of 9 cameras went out. Use a Hikvision 16 ch POE NVR and Hikvision cameras. Playing around with switching cables, rebooting, turning off/on, etc. After some trial and error, I was trying a few older spare cameras with a spare cable that i have at my desk from ch16 so I can test from desk without going up and down stairs multiple times. I finally got a new camera to come online after multiple times playing with IP's when I realize it came on-line because I had it plugged into a 12v adapter at the jack (for powering with SADP).

Anyway...I am guessing the POE power is shot since it works with alternate 12v and not ethernet alone. Unfortunately...no UPS :(. So...can I assume my NVR is shot? I'm not going to run a 12v source to all the cameras

Is there an EASY way to determine if a POE port is bad? i.e...plug into the POE port with a magic device and it shows good/no good? I'm sure there is but not and not that IT savvy.

Third Question- I want to access the web interface of the cameras but in this case, it is impossible due to POE probably out. Since my cameras are mounted high, (to eliminate the need for climbing a ladder) is there a way to utilize the cable from the camera at the NVR end, plug it into a POE injector, and then ethernet cable it to my laptop to log into the web interface? This way the camera would get power?

Appreciate any help
Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh no. Best case is just the POE ports went out.

As long as the WAN/LAN port still works, you could get a POE switch and simply plug all the cameras into that switch and then from the switch to the WAN/LAN of the NVR.

You will then have to do some tinkering around to get the NVR to see them because by default the cameras are probably on a 10.x.x.x subnet and the WAN/LAN will be something else.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
....is there a way to utilize the cable from the camera at the NVR end, plug it into a POE injector, and then ethernet cable it to my laptop to log into the web interface?
Yes, but you'd need to know the cam's IP and use a PC set to the same subnet as the cam, such as 10.X.X.X.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, but you'd need to know the cam's IP and use a PC set to the same subnet as the cam, such as 10.X.X.X.
It would actually be easier than that with a Hikvision NVR and cameras.
Hikvision's SADP tool doesn't need to have the PC IP address set to be in the likely 192.168.254.x address range to find the cameras. It operates via a broadcast method.
And, given knowledge of the camera admin password, SADP can also be used to change the camera IP address to match a value that's been selected to match that of the LAN for when the cameras are connected to the PoE switch it sounds like you're likely to buy.