Power supply connector size

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just purchased a IPC-HDBW1320E-W and I need to buy a power supply for it. (Or should I say I might need, I have a 12v power supply or two around)

Anyway - while I'm awaiting it, I want to see if I need to purchase a PS or not.

Does anyone have a Dahua dome that they can measure the outside diameter of the male plug (from the power supply) that plugs into the Dahua power cable?

Both of my 12vdc power supplies seem to have a 7mm connector on them.

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
use poe....save the hassle..next time avoid domes...for a few more bux the dahua starlight turret varifocal is a much much better camera.

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I need to use wifi. Very special case - my main front door camera is POE turret.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
use poe....save the hassle..next time avoid domes...for a few more bux the dahua starlight turret varifocal is a much much better camera.
any camera can be made wifi with a tiny wifi bridge plugged in near the power support...or you can use powerline.

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, I know. I am deliberately doing everything I can to stick with wifi direct to the camera deliberately.

sirius99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sometimes thats just not an option even though you have said it to me before as well. Yes these things can always be done technically but the particular situation that people find themselves in mean it may not be a viable option. Don't have an easy route or don't want to ruin their internal/external decor etc.

My camera connects to a power outlet off a lighting circuit (Spurred FCU unit to limit power draw) which is close by the camera and there is nowhere else I can plug in the second Powerline adaptor off the main ring main to get Ethernet to it. Ethernet on its own would have to have me either lift newly laid down floorboards in 2 rooms and drill holes in newly painted wall etc or string the wire externally which would be unsightly.

I would also suggest the OP may have a valid reason for going for a dome - Im not unhappy with my Dome but have heard the views that a turret is better and next time I would probably buy a Turret (except for the fact we coudn't find a turret with native wifi) - We discussed this in a separate thread which was very helpful (albeit a bit late for me - my bad).

FWIW to the OP i bought a variable 12v Charger for me which had multiple tips - different sizes interchangeable - so i could be sure it fitted my cam (remember to convert your Amps into Watts by multiplying the Amps by the voltage - most cams show 12v and xW as the power needs I think so you may need to do the arithmetic when you buy a plug)

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I prefer turrets. The dome is because I wanted wifi, 3mp, and POE. I plan not to use POE, but like the flexibility of re-purposing it later.

I couldn't use a bullet as the place this will be (garage) will have spiders unfortunately.

In the end if I can't get wifi to work, I'll come up with a plan B that hopefully will not have me with an unsecured ethernet port that is 40 feet away from my house. (I'm paranoid)

A wifi extender will likely help if I can't get wifi inside my garage from where my router currently is. (two rooms (30 feet) removed from the edge of my house facing the gargae)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes thats just not an option even though you have said it to me before as well. Yes these things can always be done technically but the particular situation that people find themselves in mean it may not be a viable option. Don't have an easy route or don't want to ruin their internal/external decor etc.

My camera connects to a power outlet off a lighting circuit (Spurred FCU unit to limit power draw) which is close by the camera and there is nowhere else I can plug in the second Powerline adaptor off the main ring main to get Ethernet to it. Ethernet on its own would have to have me either lift newly laid down floorboards in 2 rooms and drill holes in newly painted wall etc or string the wire externally which would be unsightly.

I would also suggest the OP may have a valid reason for going for a dome - Im not unhappy with my Dome but have heard the views that a turret is better and next time I would probably buy a Turret (except for the fact we coudn't find a turret with native wifi) - We discussed this in a separate thread which was very helpful (albeit a bit late for me - my bad).

FWIW to the OP i bought a variable 12v Charger for me which had multiple tips - different sizes interchangeable - so i could be sure it fitted my cam (remember to convert your Amps into Watts by multiplying the Amps by the voltage - most cams show 12v and xW as the power needs I think so you may need to do the arithmetic when you buy a plug)
It is almost always an option..just because you cant do it doesnt mean it cannot be done...my brother had top notch low voltage guys run ethernet to 10 cameras around the house. No ugly conduit, no external wires exposed, some of the cameras were mounted on the brick facade (not conduit either), all done with maybe one or two small holes in sheet-rock that were easily patched and painted. You simply need to find someone who knows what he is doing.

sirius99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
errr i did say 'Yes these things can always be done technically but the particular situation that people find themselves in mean it may not be a viable option' - people may not have the funds to do what you suggest .... By all means suggest alternatives but it doesnt mean it should be done that way.... I think you missed my point..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
errr i did say 'Yes these things can always be done technically but the particular situation that people find themselves in mean it may not be a viable option' - people may not have the funds to do what you suggest .... By all means suggest alternatives but it doesnt mean it should be done that way.... I think you missed my point..
You can spend a bit more and do it right, or do it half assed and have consistent issues..

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You know what, I do agree with you.

That said - I am absolutely doing what is right for me. Why?

Because I rent. I'll be here 2-4 years more at most. I have ethernet running all throughout my apartment - ran it myself. I hate wireless. All these damn cable commercials bragging about home wifi speeds - omg, stupid crap! WiFi sucks in every respect compared to a wired connection - period. (other than mobility)

But for this specific need - for the next (hopefully) couple of years, I just want to see the interior of my garage... Without putting an unsecured ethernet drop out there (with a bridge).

sirius99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
still think you missed my point - no-one is disagreeing with you on the best way to do it -

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
an unsecured ethernet drop is more easy to secure than your WiFi.. I can hack your wifi from the comfort of my car.. to get to an ethernet cable I'll presumably have to show my self to one of your cameras first.

if your really seriously paranoid about that; my Dahua cameras support port authentication.. if used with a correctly configured network then external ethernet runs are secure, anyone whom unplugs a camera and takes over its cable will just get an isolated port until they authenticate with credentials stored in the cameras flash memory.