Powerline AC Adapters

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the thoughts of this group on AC Powerline adapters to carry Ethernet signal? Good, bad, only in extreme situations?

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I used the Zyxel PLA5456KIT at my last residence for 4 years to get Internet and network into a separate workshop building 50 feet from the main house. They worked great, zero issues, YMMV. I picked this model because my research indicated they had good reviews and seemed to be better quality.

Amazon still sells them, they run right at $100 pair.

Edited to add based on new comments below: Yes, in my situation I had one main panel servicing both house and shop.

Last edited:

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If both units are on the same AC line (L1 or L2, assuming a 240vac system) they worked fine for me. On opposite lines, not so much. Also had problems if there was a sub-panel between them.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Because of difficult access for cable to garage (slab floor, bonus room above, and 2 brick and mortar walls, I also used a TP-LINK pair reliably for 3 years until lightning decided to put a stop to that; replaced with a Zyxel pair, ZyXEL 1300 Mbps MIMO Powerline Gigabit Ethernet Adaptor Pack of 2, that has also been good also.

To clarify @anijet 's point, up to now when using most PLA's (power line adapters) the 2 receptacles (1 at camera, the other at switch or PC) don't have to be on the same circuit breaker, but the "hot" circuits do need to be coming from the "same side" of the panel, either the left side (L1/Line 1) or the right side (L2/Line 2). This is assuming a typical residential 3-wire, split phase 120/240 VAC service.

However, recent improvements in PLA technology makes that no longer an issue meaning both receptacles no longer have to powered by the same side of the electrical panel, at least according to this excerpt from a zyxel knowledge base article, below:
"Earlier versions of the HomePlug technology could not reliably communicate across multiple electrical circuits, this was solved by increasing the communication carrier frequencies so that the signal is carried over the neutral conductor with HomePlug AV2 SISO (single-input, single-output) technology. HomePlug AV2 MIMO (multiple-input, multiple-output) uses the ground conductor to double data coverage."

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I went with TP-Link 600 model for both the house and garage. Works flawlessly for (2) 2 MP cameras, even when the house end is plugged into a UPS surge outlet. I would use these over something like Ubiquiti WiFi devices, mostly due to the cost. I prefer the KISS principle, FWIW.

Reaction score
I used powerline adapters for almost a year, until I could run a line out to the garage. TP-Link equipment here.
Always worked well, EXCEPT when the wife plugged in a very noisy old iron to de-wrinkle some clothes. :(

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The old BSR and Levition X-10 powerline devices of the 80's and 90's also had issues talking across AC lines that were on different "sides" of the panel and they sold a capacitive coupling device to help overcome that; it's assist was hit or miss, I'm told.

In my case, I discovered accidentally that running our 240 VAC electric clothes dryer would couple the 2 hot legs sufficiently to allow most X-10 devices plugged into one hot leg (L1) to communicate with the X-10 controller plugged into the other hot leg (L2). :cool:

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the insight. Sounds like they work better than Wifi and newer models really don't have that many issues....

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just recently installed two TP-Link AV600 between a house and shed. The shed is only about 50 feet away. The two units are on the same circuit and they've been working perfectly.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
several Netgear powerline adapters, like AV500 series, an still functional for more than a decade, model HDX101.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Just hope you don't have a ham radio operator close by. It will wipe out the shortwave (HF) bands.
Some companies are better then others at notching out their frequencies.

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just recently installed two TP-Link AV600 between a house and shed. The shed is only about 50 feet away. The two units are on the same circuit and they've been working perfectly.
Were these them?

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just hope you don't have a ham radio operator close by. It will wipe out the shortwave (HF) bands.
Some companies are better then others at notching out their frequencies.
How do these wipe out the HF freqs? I'm a HAM operator and I've never had any issues.....

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
The old BSR and Levition X-10 powerline devices of the 80's and 90's also had issues talking across AC lines that were on different "sides" of the panel and they sold a capacitive coupling device to help overcome that; it's assist was hit or miss, I'm told.

In my case, I discovered accidentally that running our 240 VAC electric clothes dryer would couple the 2 hot legs sufficiently to allow most X-10 devices plugged into one hot leg (L1) to communicate with the X-10 controller plugged into the other hot leg (L2). :cool:
It can work, depends on house installation.. better use phase coupler ;)

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
EOP adaptors are great.
I used one for a year until my system was upgraded and cables were ran.

I did have problems with interference with some devices. Example was a speaker system picked up the noise from these adaptors.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
How do these wipe out the HF freqs? I'm a HAM operator and I've never had any issues.....
They use hf frequencies to modulate the data on. This wipes the hf bands out.
Some were banned in Europe. Their "fcc" is more active than here.

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score