Pre Record ivms4200

5teve

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys

PC based ivms4200 install with storage server setup and operating locally on PC -

Sorry probably lots more questions to come - pre and post record settings - i have it set up 15s pre and 30s post in the storage schedule (in both storage of encoding server recording schedule and storage server > storage content > record schedule)

When an event is triggered - the playback starts the recording at the point of the trigger - not 15s before as set?

Any hints as to why this may not be working?

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
I had a play with this the other day. I found two pre/post settings. One in record schedule->advanced settings and the other in "Storage Content->Advanced Settings" (under the storage server separator).

From memory it was the storage content advanced setting that allowed a pre-alarm value that worked. It defaulted to "No Pre-record" even if a pre-record value had been selected in the record schedule.

5teve

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmm a bit wierd

I have both areas you mentioned set the same so 15s and 30s

I noticed that the storage server template was set to event - so changed that to all day - and now I have pre-record - issue I have tho is that it seems to ignore my settings - I have 30s pre record regardless of what settings I add! still 30 is better than none.. so better but still not quite what I was expecting - more input greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to stick with this over BI as the cpu usage is so low in comparison with BI.

Steve

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm trying to stick with this over BI as the cpu usage is so low in comparison with BI.

Steve
If you tested BI without a license then direct to disk is not active...this significantly reduces cpu usage (you need to enable it in each cameras properties)..blue iris also supports intel hardware acceleration with processors that have quicksync. It is much more configurable than ivms..the mobile app is also miles ahead.

5teve

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the option for D2D in BI demo... but was seeing about 40% cpu use - ivms is down at the 6% are you saying even though D2D is selected that its not active?

Steve

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the option for D2D in BI demo... but was seeing about 40% cpu use - ivms is down at the 6% are you saying even though D2D is selected that its not active?

Steve
Yes, that is correct. It is not active. Your consumption will drop by at least half..more with hardware acceleration. It wont be as low as ivms, but still much lower than what you are seeing.

5teve

n3wb
Reaction score
ok something to consider - thanks. A fully fledged demo would help..

further to the original issue - am I right thinking the schedule for the storage server record should NOT be event template? if its all day then it records all the time - and events can therefore be captured with the pre / post?

Should the storage server be writing to the disk all the time?

Steve

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
I used the Hik storage server just to record events with motion metadata so I could try and tweak the motion parameters.

I looked (very) briefly at BI but I couldn't figure out how to get a fully featured trial.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I looked (very) briefly at BI but I couldn't figure out how to get a fully featured trial.
The only function missing from the demo is direct to disc recording..not sure why the developer does this...

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
The only function missing from the demo is direct to disc recording..
And unfortunately that's the missing feature that counts. Mind you, I'm not the target market either so maybe it doesn't worry people that much.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
And unfortunately that's the missing feature that counts. Mind you, I'm not the target market either so maybe it doesn't worry people that much.
Most folks can get the cpu requirements here and in other places...it doesnt seem to bother them...

5teve

n3wb
Reaction score
as im on a xeon e3-1280v3 I dont have the luxury of BI hardware decoding.. as I'm on a standalone card.

With 24tb (able to write at 2.5gb/s) plus SSDs boot and scratch drives, a reasonable cpu and 32gb ram - you'd think it would be enough! Maybe I should crack my dual e5 v3 into life :)

Just rebuilding ivms to see if I can resolve the issues I was having - have also reset cameras back to defaults.

Steve

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
as im on a xeon e3-1280v3 I dont have the luxury of BI hardware decoding.. as I'm on a standalone card.
Well how many cameras are you running and at what resolution and frame rate? Direct to disk is not dependent on intel hd..you will see a significant drip using d2d.

5teve

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll be running 6 in total - nothing special :) but as its not a standalone machine - and that isnt an option - i'm trying to keep the overheads as low as possible.

cameras will be 4x turrets (3mp - DS-2CD2335-I) and 2 domes (DS-2CD2732F-IS)

as for the issues with a fresh install - still there especially the failed to receive data (ivms4500) from device on the other thread - I may have to give this up.. but 6% cpu is hard to go past..

Steve

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll be running 6 in total - nothing special :) but as its not a standalone machine - and that isnt an option - i'm trying to keep the overheads as low as possible.

cameras will be 4x turrets (3mp - DS-2CD2335-I) and 2 domes (DS-2CD2732F-IS)

as for the issues with a fresh install - still there especially the failed to receive data (ivms4500) from device on the other thread - I may have to give this up.. but 6% cpu is hard to go past..

Steve
With your load an processor you should be at about 10-15 percent even without hardware acceleration using direct to disk..possibly less if you dont have the console open for live view. For example, I have an i7-4770 running 11 cams about 27mp total at 15-20fps hovering at 22 percent console open (using hardware acceleration)...without HA it was about 30...

5teve

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Fenderman

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check it out and cough up the funds.. if thats the only way to get a fully fledged install :)

I now have IVMS kinda working - it looks like expert motion detection on the cams is funky - on the domes at least - the turrets seem more stable in this respect. If i use basic and mess with the mask and sensitivity (only moveable in block of 20!) then it seems to be ok and I have some pre-record but not as much as is set in the system (2s actual approx and 10s set) nothing I do seems to help in this respect.

The killer bit for me - unless I can get an answer soon - is that the ivms4500 android app is not working - it will not stream the live view. I can connect - see cameras - play back recordings incredibly well and smoothly - but not see live view - even within the local network. External (4g) is the same also.

I'm assuming the 2 softwares (ivms and BI) can be run at the same time also as the cams allow multiple users?

Steve

5teve

n3wb
Reaction score
By the way with BI - how much cpu does the Motion detection use - or should I utilise the in camera like I do now (very clunky in expert - over sensitive in normal - if only there was a percentage slider in normal)

Steve

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
By the way with BI - how much cpu does the Motion detection use - or should I utilise the in camera like I do now (very clunky in expert - over sensitive in normal - if only there was a percentage slider in normal)

Steve
I dont believe its much, i havent done extensive testing...using the BI motion detection is one of the best features...by using profiles you can actually alter motion settings based on sunrise sunset so evening settings will be different than day...you easily enable/disable alerts..etc...blue iris supports multiple zone crossing options as well.
If you wish blue iris supports the use of in camera motion (use find inspect to pull the onvif profile and enable in camera motion..)..
and yes, you can run both simultaneously.

5teve

n3wb
Reaction score
OK I give up... I'm gonna have to go BI

The motion detection on the cameras is so close to being great - if only the sensitivity / proportion made sense / worked and if the expert mode had regions that could be drawn like the normal mode, rather than crappy boxes. Oh well.. BI i think it will be.

I'm hoping that once I buy it I see the promised drop in CPU usage :)

next question then.. where is the best place to buy? by best I mean best priced!

also is it possible to have it installed on more than one machine in a client / server type arrangement (ala ivms 4200?) as the web server is ahem.. clunky (to look at).

Steve

5teve

n3wb
Reaction score
interestingly D2D isnt greyed out in my eval version so can be selected.. does that mean that it is working or not?

Steve