Pre-Trigger Video Buffer

dhenzler

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had my Pre-Trigger Video Buffer setting at 7.5 seconds, and was still having recordings start with people already in the frame. Have increased it to 15 seconds and will hopefully capture the person actually walking into frame. Am I missing something here ?

Dave

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had my Pre-Trigger Video Buffer setting at 7.5 seconds, and was still having recordings start with people already in the frame. Have increased it to 15 seconds and will hopefully capture the person actually walking into frame. Am I missing something here ?

Dave
direct to disk recording only starts at a new iframe. If you have a really long iframe interval set or use junk reolink cameras that dont let you set an iframe interval you will have this problem.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
hey fenderman,,,,thanks for the tips about generally using make time setting of 0.7 and pretrigger of 5 sec. in another thread. It really stabilized my camera captures.....across the variety of cams i have.

dhenzler

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
direct to disk recording only starts at a new iframe. If you have a really long iframe interval set or use junk reolink cameras that dont let you set an iframe interval you will have this problem.
I'm using SUNBA ($250-$325) cameras. Don't know crap about Iframe intervals... likely it's settable eh? I have four cameras now and soon to have two more cheapo PT cams for side yard surveillance.

dhenzler

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm using SUNBA ($250-$325) cameras. Don't know crap about Iframe intervals... likely it's settable eh? I have four cameras now and soon to have two more cheapo PT cams for side yard surveillance.
Found the setting, and reduced it from 2 to 1. Will have to see what happens next.
You need to learn then, because it's relevant to your problem.
Also, don't buy cheap toy cameras if you expect reliability. Stick with Hikvision and Dahua International cams.
Search is your friend.
I probably have more on my plate than just this problem. Am retired, but very busy with multiple projects that require reading before implementation. If the BI issues were the only fly in my ointment, I suppose I might have dug deeper and spent the hours to READ every post made about this problem. However it isn't. I agree with RTFM, but the ones that come with my $300 average cams aren't very complete when it comes to settings and the impact they have. I trust the default to be good enough to get me started.

The BI manual is extensive, and I don't think iframes are covered...

Thanks for NOTHING !

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Iframes are important and are covered in the BI help file, but you don't seem to have the time, inclination or patience to find out so why complain or even ask for help?

Spuds

n3wb
Reaction score
Also ensure you do not have "Cut video when triggered with break time" enabled as that will not honor a pre-buffer setting.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got a Sunba years ago to play with. Nice little camera and works well with enough light. Even though it has the Starvis sensor, you cannot force some of the settings to get the crisp picture at night (even though it acts like it can - it is adjusting something you cannot control to make the still picture look good). I have since upgraded with at PTZ from @EMPIRETECANDY

The Sunba also has difficulty with Blue Iris. You cannot match i-frames above 12 fps and there is some issue that I always have the yellow triangle on that camera in BI regardless of how many different ways I try to configure it.

If I had to do over again, I would have spent more to get a better cam, but it was a nice one to play with and learn about PTZs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Found the setting, and reduced it from 2 to 1. Will have to see what happens next.

I probably have more on my plate than just this problem. Am retired, but very busy with multiple projects that require reading before implementation. If the BI issues were the only fly in my ointment, I suppose I might have dug deeper and spent the hours to READ every post made about this problem. However it isn't. I agree with RTFM, but the ones that come with my $300 average cams aren't very complete when it comes to settings and the impact they have. I trust the default to be good enough to get me started.

The BI manual is extensive, and I don't think iframes are covered...

Thanks for NOTHING !
Dont be an asshole when people offer you FREE advice. Iframe intervals are covered in the help file. You are just too damn lazy to read it. No one gives a damn that you are busy. We are busy too and you are not paying us for technical support. Be grateful. Why the fuck should we help you run your business which you get paid for?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
(Flintstone61 quietly clicks the Blue Iris Wiki and starts to read shit).....oh hey substreams ......are copy n pasted from mainstream? oh wow....I did not now that....

dhenzler

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Iframes are important and are covered in the BI help file, but you don't seem to have the time, inclination or patience to find out so why complain or even ask for help?
It's not covered in the manual... why would I look in the help file ? Duh !

dhenzler

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I got into this surveillance thing out of need, and didn't have a lot of time to research the market, and then... who do you trust! All of them are made in China, and only a few offer 20x optical zoom, metal housings, and 360 continuous pan. In retrospect I looked at the Hikvision offerings today and didn't see anything with more than a 5x optical zoom.
Sounds to me like you all have had a lot of experience... how did you get started? Make many mistakes? Have previous experience because of a job? I didn't and quite frankly am not about to spend another thousand to replace the Sunba Cams that I have. The last one works great. but is the $325 model with 1000' night vision.
I generally have a VERY LOW opinion of these forums, and getting a ration of shit about my poor choices or asking a simple question and being told I'm lazy isn't what I look for. Obviously you all feel much smarter when you tell someone else how little they know... there's a name for that abnormality.

Don't bother with criticism or sarcastic remarks... I have Zero tolerance for them. Or for opinions instead of answers!

good day !

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
FIne. You didn't really research anything in a serious way and come here with an attitude. You can't even use the help file. Maybe you should hire someone who knows what they're doing instead of wasting time trying to be an expert when you don't give a darn. If you can't even find a PTZ camera with more than 5X zoom from Hikvision or Dahua you've got to be really bad at finding you own house. I have zero tolerance for people who get snarky/nasty when given advice that they asked for. Your opinion of forums is so far off base it hurts. Many forums, besides this one, are populated by people with very indepth knowledge that they willingly share, for free, when asked. You got that and replied in an offensive way and expect to be accommodated. Maybe not....

dhenzler

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
not found in my help file... just updated a few days ago...BI5 that is

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I generally have a VERY LOW opinion of these forums, and getting a ration of shit about my poor choices or asking a simple question and being told I'm lazy isn't what I look for. Obviously you all feel much smarter when you tell someone else how little they know... there's a name for that abnormality.

Don't bother with criticism or sarcastic remarks... I have Zero tolerance for them. Or for opinions instead of answers!

good day !
Fuck off then and get your FREE help elsewhere you parasite. We have a VERY LOW opinion of you! How is that for ZERO tolerance?