Preliminary Layout Review Request

Reaction score
All camera equipment needs to be on a UPS this will protect for those surges and outages, but not lighting.
Makes sense. I currently have my POE switch and router both plugged into a UPS.

Realize that the ability to get a goo face shot is a function of camera angle, zoom/focus, and lighting. The lower the angle, the better the chance of getting a usable face shot. The more pixels you get of the face, by getting the zoon/focus closer to that face, the more detail you can get. Light gives you the ability to see it in color. So the higher you mount a cam, the higher the angle is as one gets closer to the cam. Your car is parked fairly close to the house. At the 10' spot, the angle would probably be too high for a good face shot for someone at your car door. Mounting at the 7' spot, the angle is lower and would give a better chance of getting a good shot. I don't know anyone who's eye level is at 7'.
Great, great point. I will plan on mounting just above the exterior lights (assuming during testing I don't have serious glare issues from the light.

Which varifocal cam did you get?
This one: US $208.28 6% OFF|New Model IPC B5442E ZE 4MP WDR IR Bullet AI Network Camera IPC B5442E ZE , free DHL shipping|Surveillance Cameras| - AliExpress

As far as using a water tight mounting box, water is NOT your friend here. All of my cams that are exposed to the weather have water tight mounting boxes and I use dielectric grease in the RJ45 socket plus the water tight connector and wrap it with tape.
I hadn't yet researched this on the forum yet as, honestly, I hadn't thought about it. Thanks for mentioning it.

Realize that not all cams will work with all boxes. Mounting hole patterns are different. The box you get needs to be for the cam you buy.
Understood. The mount I linked to came from the Dahua "accessories" page under the camera I'm intending to get.

Reaction score
That is a great cam. If the WAF (Wife Approval Factor) is an issue, perhaps a turret style would stick out less.

Reaction score
Well, the intent is actually to not have the bullet be in that location. I was given advice previously in this thread to grab a varifocal camera to determine whether to purchase a 5442 that was 2mm, 3.6mm, or 6mm. So, my plan is to use the bullet as a test case to know which turrets to buy, then buy those two turrets and permanently mount the varifocal elsewhere on the house.

Reaction score
Do you guys know which wall mount to use with the Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS? In the datasheet it says to use PFB204W but the installation sheet says PFB203W. I've attached both documents for reference.

Maybe @EMPIRETECANDY could point me in the correct direction?

Attachments

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Oh, and one last thing, based on this planning image, I'm showing the 5442's that will be mounted about 7' high. Would it be wise to mount two more cameras (bullets?) under the soffit just above these two cameras at 10'-0" high in order to watch the sidewalk and end of driveway? Or does that seem unnecessary?

Reaction score
Realize that that cam is a small pattern 4-hole mount. I have two of them. The PFB203W will NOT fit. I just looked at that box as I have a few left over. I can't vouch for the PFB204W as I do not have any. But that mount is not waterproof, unless you caulk it at the wall.

I have used the PFA130-E for those cams. You can mount them on a wall. They just do not show it that way.

As far as mounting other cams to get different views, one can never have too many cams. But I would hold off until you test different scenarios. It is better to do a little at a time and learn what cams can do and what you want from your system. Mine has evolved over the last year or more and looks nothing like my first plan.

Reaction score
Realize that that cam is a small pattern 4-hole mount. I have two of them. The PFB203W will NOT fit. I just looked at that box as I have a few left over. I can't vouch for the PFB204W as I do not have any. But that mount is not waterproof, unless you caulk it at the wall.
That’s unfortunate as I like the look of the PFB’s better than the j-box mounted straight on the wall. Appreciate the info.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
RESURRECTING THIS THREAD FROM THE DEAD AS I'M NOW READY TO START ACTUALLY INSTALLING SOME OF THESE CAMERAS

Circling back to this as I'm now ready to start mounting my three cameras on the outside of the house. I'm a bit intimidated by the garage cameras because I'm not yet certain how I'm going to get up to the attic from there. That said, I'm not sure what to do with the third camera...

• (2) T5442TM-AS Turrets | One on either side of the garage to watch the driveway and whatever yard spillover naturally occurs.
  • (1) B5442E-ZE Bullet | I'm not sure where to mount this camera.
    • Option 1: SE corner of the house as an "overview" of sorts for the back yard.
    • Option 2: NW corner of the house as an "overview" of the front yard and anyone walking up the sidewalk to the front door (note: I already have a NSC-DB2 doorbell camera installed and operational)

So, I just can't make up my mind where and at what height to mount the bullet camera. It's relatively large so I think distance is not an issue. Understanding that I'll eventually add more cameras, what would you all suggest for mounting the bullet cam?

Thanks!

(NOTE: Go back to the OP to see photos of the house from all sides.)

Last edited: